Subject: CDC cancels August HIV prevention meeting in SF
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 14:56:00 EDT

From:   [email-masked] (Ogden, Lydia)
To: [email-masked] ([email-masked]')
CC: [email-masked] (Ogden, Lydia)

Michael -- 

I thought by now you'd heard that, based on the recommendations
of the Advisory Committee for HIV and STD Prevention at the meeting you
attending in June, we're holding off on the public meetings to discuss the
HIV prevention strategic plan.  We're refining the document in-house as the
committee recommended, so that it's more unified and less a product of four
different workgroups.  

We hope to reschedule the public meetings in September.  Please let your
contacts know this ASAP.  I'll let you know the revised meeting date.
Thanks so much.  Lydia

Lydia Ogden, MA, MPP
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention
1600 Clifton Road, NE  (E07)
Atlanta, GA  30333
Phone:  404-639-8031, 8008
Fax:        404-639-8629
Email:     [email-masked]

    *    *     *
Date:   7/25/00 2:00:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time
From:   [email-masked] (Ogden, Lydia)
To: [email-masked] ([email-masked]')

Hi, back!  I just sent you an email about the revised dates for the public
meetings -- based on the advisory committee's recommendation.  Sorry for the
confusion.  I thought we'd gotten the word out.  I'll see you in September!
Lydia

Lydia Ogden, MA, MPP
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention
1600 Clifton Road, NE  (E07)
Atlanta, GA  30333
Phone:  404-639-8031, 8008
Fax:        404-639-8629
Email:     [email-masked]

    ---   ---
[My reply to her.]

July 26, 2000

Dear Lydia:

No, I hadn't heard the meeting was canceled. Despite providing you and others 
at the CDC with my phone number, fax number, email address, and snail mail 
address, I was not informed of your change in meeting plans. In the future, 
you might want to try carrier pigeons to keep me abreast of CDC plans to deal 
with HIV prevention in SF.

You mention the CDC advisory committee for HIV prevention still might come in 
September to present the committee's new and improved strategy for stopping 
HIV in America, and take public comment on the matter. I must inform you that 
since Dr. Willi McFarland was quoted in the SF Chronicle alleging HIV rates 
here were surging to "sub-Saharan African levels of transmission," I have 
prepared for the worst case scenario.

Since the Chronicle and McFarland have not retracted the alarmist 
allegations, we can only assume that San Francisco will be a Botswanan 
village tomorrow. Totally wiped off the face of the earth. I fear no one may 
be left in San Francisco in September, if you and the committee make here, to 
comment on your plan.

How sad the CDC can't come to our queer Mecca and help us prepare for more 
doom and destruction from HIV. If only the CDC had the people power, will and 
financial resources to show us a plan and how to implement it. Woe, if only 
Congress had appropriated more money, maybe then the CDC could send us the 
resources and expertise to grapple with "sub-Saharan African levels of 
transmission" of HIV.

But why dwell on the negative? Have a nice summer.

Michael Petrelis
Phone: 415-621-6267

  ---  ----

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2000 3:34 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Fwd: The CDC will hold an HIV prevention meeting in SF on
August 1st

Hi -

Will I see you next week in SF?

Michael Petrelis
 <A HREF="http://www.aids-statistics.com/">Welcome to AIDS-STATISTICS</A>
www.AIDS-statistics.com 
2215-R Market Street, #413
San Francisco, CA 94114