Subject: Barebacking tape sent to CDC; complaint filed
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 05:55:25 EDT

July 17, 2000

Dr. Helene Gayle
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
HIV/AIDS Prevention Programs
1600 Clifton Road, N.E.
Atlanta, GA 30333

    RE: CDC funded HIV prevention hypocrisy

Dear Dr. Gayle,

On July 13, during the San Francisco HIV Prevention and Planning Council 
meeting it was brought to the council's attention that one of the HPPC's 
members, Vince Gaither, had an advertisement as a barebacker, along with 
dozens of nude pictures, posted on the www.barebackcentral.net web site. 

Copies of Gaither's pictures are included in this packet, and can also be 
seen at http://www.barebackcentral.net/members/rdhdwolf/. As you know, 
Gaither, a.k.a. Sister Mary Mae Hemm, is a member of the Sisters of Perpetual 
Indulgence. Gaither sits on the HPPC, a body created by the CDC to spend $10 
million annually for HIV prevention programs in the city.

Additionally, another barebacker, Keith Folger, who works for the CDC-funded 
Stop AIDS Project, has also publicly advertised himself as a barebacker on 
the www.barebackcentral.net site. You will find copies of Folger's ads 
enclosed. Also, please be aware that Gaither and Folger's barebacking ads and 
photos are available  at the Queer Nation SF web site, www.queernationsf.org, 
or direct web link, <A HREF="http://www.queernationsf.org/">Queer Nation San 
Francisco</A> .

Folger is also a member of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, when not 
earning a paycheck from an HIV prevention organization subsidized by the CDC. 
Seems as though both Folger and Gaither enjoy being decision-makers for CDC 
HIV prevention programs.

Despite Gaither and Folger practicing barebacking, which is anal sex without 
a condom, they are charged by the CDC to decide how $10 million is used to 
stop HIV transmission. I can't support the hypocrisy of Gaither, Folger and 
the CDC. 

Answers are in order to the following questions.

1. Why does the CDC allow Gaither a seat on the HPPC, even though he preaches 
condom use for gay sex, but he actually engages in anal sex without condoms?

2. Why does the CDC fund Folger's salary at the Stop AIDS Project?

3. When will Gaither and Folger resign from their respective CDC funded 
positions?

Although I am not opposed to people making personal sexual decisions, I am 
really angry about this appalling form of hypocrisy, which is running rampant 
within the HPPC, the Stop AIDS Project and other CDC funded AIDS prevention 
service agencies. 

Enclosed is a copy of a videotape of the July 13 HPPC meeting. I look forward 
to a rapid response.

Sincerely,
Steven D. Keller
100 First Street, Box 100-101
San Francisco, CA 94105
ph: 415-255-8975
email: [email-masked]

cc:
Members of Congress

Enclosures
=======================

Michael Petrelis
 <A HREF="http://www.aids-statistics.com/">Welcome to AIDS-STATISTICS</A>
www.AIDS-statistics.com 
2215-R Market Street, #413
San Francisco, CA 94114