Subject: Declining AIDS stats to be presented at Alameda County supes meeting
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 18:35:10 EDT

NEWS FROM AIDS-STATISTICS.COM

For Immediate Release                                                         
                     Contact: Michael Petrelis
June 5, 2000                                                                  
                                            (415) 621-6267

DECLINING AIDS STATS FROM HEALTH OFFICIALS WILL BE 

PRESENTED TO ALAMEDA COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS

San Francisco, CA - The project director of an AIDS epidemiology web site 
will testify before the Alameda County Board of Supervisors about the 
sustained decrease of new AIDS cases in the East Bay region.

The supervisors meeting is Tuesday, June 6, starting at 10:00 a.m. in the 
county government building, located at 1221 Oak Street, Room 512, in Oakland.

The latest AIDS statistics for the city of Oakland from the Centers for 
Disease Control show 475 news AIDS cases in 1997, 414 during 1998, while 346 
cases were recorded in 1999.

A similar drop is documented in the most recent AIDS epidemiology report from 
the Alameda County health department. There were 408 new AIDS cases in the 
county for 1996, 317 cases in 1997, and 240 new diagnoses for 1998, according 
to the health department.

The county's breakdown by ethnicity shows 212 new AIDS cases among African 
Americans in 1996, then 162 cases in 1997, and 125 during 1998. 

For Asians and Pacific Islanders, there were 17 new AIDS cases in 1996, 18 
cases in 1997, and only 9 cases for 1998.

Hispanics in the county recorded 37 new AIDS cases in 1996, then 36 during 
1997, and 28 new AIDS cases for 1998. 

There were zero new AIDS cases in Alameda County for Native Americans in 
1996, 2 cases for 1997, and zero cases again in 1998. 

For whites, a total of 141 new AIDS cases were reported during 1996, 99 cases 
documented in 1997, and 76 AIDS diagnoses in 1998.

"For unknown reasons the CDC numbers do not correspond exactly with totals 
from Alameda County health department. Nonetheless, AIDS epidemiology from 
both sources demonstrate AIDS cases dropping," said Michael Petrelis of the 
www.AIDS-Statistics.com web site. "Alameda County supervisors should utilize 
AIDS epidemiology when deciding public policy related to AIDS concerns. 
Personally delivering AIDS statistics to the board means supervisors will 
have current AIDS data in hand to guide them."

                                                         #    #    #

[ <A 
HREF="http://www.co.alameda.ca.us/publichealth/information/communicable/pdf/Im
mature_HIV_41.pdf">Click here: 
http://www.co.alameda.ca.us/publichealth/information/communicable/pdf/Immature
_HIV_41.pdf</A>  ]

------------------------------------

Michael Petrelis
 <A HREF="http://www.aids-statistics.com/">Welcome to AIDS-STATISTICS</A>
www.AIDS-statistics.com 
2215-R Market Street, #413
San Francisco, CA 94114