Subject: SOULFORCE ALERT: Civil Disobedience at PC(USA) General Assembly, JUNE 25, Long B
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:49:14 EDT

CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE TO TAKE PLACE AT PRESBYTERIAN(USA) GENERAL ASSEMBLY

 Soulforce Action in Long Beach, CA on June 25 to Protest Exclusion of Gay, 
Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Individuals by the Presbyterian Church

SOULFORCE PRESS RELEASE
June 19, 2000 - For Immediate Release
Contact: Laura Montgomery Rutt, Media Coordinator
Cell: (717) 951-7712

Laguna Beach, CA - On June 25, hundreds of gay, lesbian, bisexual, 
transgender individuals, their allies, families and friends will gather 
during the opening worship service of the 212th General Assembly of the 
Presbyterian Church (USA) to protest exclusionary church policies.

People of faith from many traditions, including several prominent 
Presbyterians, will begin to gather outside the Long Beach Convention Center, 
300 East Ocean Blvd at 7am.  A silent protest will begin at 8:30am, followed 
by a Soulforce revival and renewal service at 9:30.  After the service, many 
of the participants are expected to take place in an act of non-violent civil 
disobedience leading to arrest.

John Heglin, a gay man from Los Angeles, is planning on taking part in the 
Soulforce Action along with his mother, brother, sister and father, Rev. E. 
Raymond Heglin, an 85 year old retired Presbyterian minister. "My whole 
family is looking forward to this historic action.  My father is sickened by 
the Presbyterians exclusionary stand against gays and lesbians.  He sees it 
as very unChristian." 

Rev. Mel White, co-founder of Soulforce, agrees, "Whatever the Presbyterians 
decide in Long Beach, the debate itself will have tragic consequences.  Every 
press media account gives the fundamentalist forces another chance to repeat 
their false and inflammatory rhetoric that leads to discrimination, suffering 
and even death. That this debate drags on in the Presbyterian Church breaks 
the heart of Christ. We come in His name and for His sake to help save the 
soul of the Presbyterian Church U.S.A. and help end this debate forever."

In order to participate in the direct action, individuals must take part in 
one of the Soulforce non-violent trainings. Trainings are three hours long 
and take place at 9am, 2pm or 7pm on June 24, 2000, at the Westin Hotel 
across from the Convention Center. For those unable to attend on Saturday, 
and additional training will be offered at 7:30 am outside the Convention 
Center.

All participants are required to sign, wear, and uphold the Soulforce "pledge 
to nonviolence" used by Dr. Martin Luther King and his marchers in 1963.

Similar acts of protest were held during the United Methodist General 
Conference in May and the Southern Baptist Convention earlier this month.  
Another action is being planned for the Episcopalian Convention on July 4, 
2000, in Denver, Colorado.

For additional information on the Soulforce action, or to sign up for the 
civil disobedience training and non-violent direct action, go to 
http://www.soulforce.org or call (949) 455-0999.

ABOUT SOULFORCE:
Soulforce is an ecumenical people of faith network committed to applying the 
principles of nonviolent resistance as taught by Gandhi and King to the 
liberation of sexual and gender minorities.  Wherever you are on your own 
"journey of faith" you are welcome to study and apply the principles with us. 

OK to Forward, Post, Print, or Publish Without Permission       
 Soulforce, Inc., P.O. Box 4467, Laguna Beach, CA. 92652