Subject: Survey: Must Achtenberg donors also give to Ammiano?
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 20:23:19 EST

December 1, 1999

Dear friends,

Magnus News is conducting an informal web survey, which we hope you'll 
participate in.  If you wish your views to be included, please only hit the reply 
button to this email address, [email-masked].  Do NOT hit "reply to all."

San Francisco Ethics Commission records show the following gay, lesbian and 
AIDS leaders donated rather substantially to openly lesbian Roberta Achtenberg's 
bid in 1995 to become SF's mayor.  Achtenberg was challenging incumbent Frank 
Jordan and then-CA Assembly Speaker Willie Brown.  Donors were not allowed 
to give more than $500 for the general election.

The question we are posing is should these leaders also donate money to gay 
Supervisor Tom Ammiano's run-off campaign to unseat Willie Brown on 
December 14?  So far, these folks have not donated to Ammiano, according to 
the SF Ethics Commission web site.

Some local politicos believe these folks should donate the maximum to Ammiano 
allowed by SF for a run-off election, $250, if they primarily supported Achtenberg 
in her race against Brown because she was a qualified lesbian candidate. Other 
pundits think Achtenberg's gay, lesbian and AIDS donors should write checks to 
Brown since Achtenberg has endorsed him over Ammiano.  What say you?

Yes, these contributors should send a check to Ammiano for Mayor, 3583 - 16th 
Street, SF, CA 94114.

No, the following donors shouldn't feel compelled to donated to Ammiano.

We look forward to your replies.

Michael Petrelis
Co-Editor
Magnus 
<A HREF="http://www.magnusnews.com/">Magnus - Gay and Lesbian News, Opinions 
and C...</A> 
------------------------

[All donations were made in calendar year 1995.  Some of the ID information for 
donors has been updated from what was listed in 1995.  For example, for Evan 
Wolfson, Lambda Legal staff attorney, we felt it wasn't enough to simply inform 
people that is a lawyer, as listed on Achtenberg's forms, but works for a gay 
advocacy organization.  --MP]

Diane Abbitt and Roberta Bennett, former HRC board members $500

Randy Allgaier, HRC board of governors, $500

Thomas Ammiano, SF Supervisor, $500

Eunice Azzani, SF AIDS Foundation board member, $500

Gwen Baba, HRC board member, $500

Andrew Barrer, former White House AIDS policy advisor, $500

Alvin Baum, SF AIDS Foundation board member, $500

Terry Bean, HRC board member, $500

John Berendt, writer, $500

Betty Berzon, psychologist, author, $250

Elizabeth Birch, HRC executive director, $500

Eileen Blumenthal, attorney, SF AIDS Foundation, $500

Timothy Boggs, HRC board member, $500

Mary Breslauer, HRC board member, $200

Richard Burns, NYC gay center executive director, $350

Karen S. Burstein, NYC based consultant, $500

Kevin M. Cathcart, executive director, Lambda Legal, $125

Debra Chasnoff, filmmaker, $500

Pat Christen, Director, SF AIDS Foundation, $100

Kate Clinton, comic, $500

Edith Dee Cofrin, HRC board member, $500

Matthew A. Coles, ACLU attorney, $350

Laurence A. Colton, SF AIDS Foundation board member, $250

Melissa Etheridge, musician, $500

Chai Feldblum, HRC consultant, $500

Harvey F. Fierstein, entertainer, $100

Julia P. Fitz-Randolph, HRC board member, $500

Charles Forester, HRC board of governors, $500

Barney Frank, US Congressman, $250

David Geffen, entertainment mogul, $500

Allan Gilmour, retired gay executive, Ford Motor Co., $500

Dean Hamer, scientist, $500

Ruth Harlow, ACLU attorney, $100

R. Scott Hitt, chair, Clinton AIDS Commission, $250

Fred Hochberg, former HRC board member, $500

Charles M. Holmes, HRC board member, $500

James Hormel, investor, $500

Nan D. Hunter, attorney, Health & Human Services, $500

Lorri L. Jean, former director LA gay center, $500

J. Richard Jennings, Hollywood Supports, $100

Ayse Kenmore, HRC board member, $500

Larry Kramer, writer, $500

Sheila Kuehl, Assembly Member, $250

Tony Kushner, playwright, $500

Bruce Lehman, former Clinton appointee, $500

Mark Leno, SF Supervisor, $200

Arthur S. Leonard, attorney, $175

Eric Marcus, writer, $500

Timothy McFeeley, former HRC director, $500

David Mixner, political consultant, $500

Tom Nolan, director, Project Open Hand, $350

Ann Northrop, writer, $500

Torie Osborn, consultant, $150

Stosh Ostrow, former HRC board member, $250

Judith Peabody, GMHC board member, $300

Jennifer C. Pizer, attorney, Lambda Legal, $500

Tina M. Podlodowski, former HRC board member, $500

Hilary Rosen, HRC board member, $500

Worth Ross, HRC board member, $250

William B. Rubenstein, professor, Stanford Law School, $500

Catherine G. Saalfield, filmmaker, $500

Jeffrey E. Sachse, HRC board member, $250

Vivian Shapiro, former HRC board member, $250

Ingrid B. Sischy, editor, Interview Magazine, $250

Richard Socarides, former White House staffer, $350

Jeff Soref, consultant, $500

Ron Stall, UCSF CAPS program, $250

Vivian Stephenson, SF AIDS Foundation board member, $450

Andre Tobias, HRC board member, $500

Joy A. Tomchin, Victory Fund board member, $500

Urvashi Vaid, NGLTF advisor, $500

Henry van Ameringen, investor, $500

Paul Volberding, AIDS physician, $250

Terrance K. Watanbe, former HRC board member, $500

William Waybourn, former Victory Fund director, $500

Evan Wolfson, attorney, Lambda Legal, $150

Kriss Worthington, gay member, Berkeley City Council, $150