Subject: CA: SB 911 and SB 1301 - Dead
From: "Ellen McCormick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 19:13:25 -0700

April 22, 1997
For Immediate Release
Contacts:	Laurie McBride, Executive Director
		Ellen McCormick, Legislative Advocate
		Sam Catalano, Legislative Assistant
		LIFE: California's Lesbian/Gay and AIDS Lobby
		(916) 444-0424

LIFE LOBBY DEFEATS ANTI-GAY MARRIAGE BILL AND ANTI-BATH HOUSE
IN STATE SENATE COMMITTEE

Today, the lobbyists for LIFE: California's Lesbian/Gay and AIDS Lobby and
a coalition of activists from around the state convened at the Capitol to
defeat two major bills which would cause great harm to the gay and lesbian
community.  Each bill was met with heated debate:

SB 911, Senator Knight's (R - Palmdale) measure to prohibit California from
recognizing same gender marriages from other states was defeated after the
Senate Judiciary Committee added domestic partner provisions to the bill. 
The final vote on the bill was 2 - 2.

SB 1301, Senator Leslie's (R - Roseville) measure to close bath houses and
sex clubs was also defeated by a vote of 4 - 3.  The committee of nine
requires five votes for a bill to pass.  Eloquent testimony was given on
behalf HIV/AIDS educators around the state who engage in safe sex education
in bath houses, comprising the only education about HIV/AIDS transmission
that many bath house clients receive.

Also in the Senate Judiciary Committee, Senator Hayden (D - Brentwood)
brought up SB 841, legislation that would require the state's contractors
to offer domestic partner benefits identical to spousal benefits offered. 
Although this measure did not get enough votes to pass the committee (3 -
4), the bill was granted reconsideration and is likely to come up for a
vote in 1998.

"Today was a victory," said Ellen McCormick, Legislative Advocate for LIFE
Lobby, "the radical right was so far out - they actually make the case for
us."  "The committee certainly understood the difference between fact and
fiction," said Laurie McBride, Executive Director of LIFE, "gay and lesbian
people need protection - protection from the same individuals that show up
as our opponents.  Faced with such open gay-bashing in a committee, it
doesn't matter whether the issue is bath houses or marriage, the committee
sees why we need protection."  
###

For more information about how you can become involved in the work done by
LIFE: California's Lesbian/Gay and AIDS Lobby, please call (916) 444-0424.

Vote Counts:	SB 911, 2 - 2		SB 1301, 4 - 3		SB 841,  3 - 4
Burton (Chair)	No			No			Yes
Leslie (VC)	Abstention		Yes			No
Calderon	Yes			Abstention		No
Haynes		No			Yes			No
Lee		Abstention		No			Yes
Lockyer		Abstention		Abstention		Yes
O'Connell	Yes			Yes			Abstention
Sher		Abstention		No			Abstention
Wright		Abstention		Yes			No

LIFE: California's Lesbian/Gay and AIDS Lobby has been lobbying on behalf
of California's lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and HIV-affected
communities since 1986.  LIFE is the oldest and largest institution
representing these communities in California's State Capitol and is proud
to celebrate a decade of service.

LIFE: California's Lesbian/Gay and AIDS Lobby
926 J Street, Suite 522
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 444-0424, fax (916) 444-3059