Subject: CA: LIFE Lobby Action Alert on ROTC bill
From: Ellen McCormick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 20:35:35

ACTION ALERT:
OPPOSE AB 424!!!
HEARING DATE: JUNE 25, 1997
LOCATION: Senate Education Committee 
(California State Senate)

CALL, WRITE, FAX OR EMAIL ALL MEMBERS OF THE SENATE EDUCATION COMMITTEE 
ASAP!

The members of the committee are at the bottom of the page, and for 
those that have email addresses I've included them.  Beyond email, it 
is also effective to call or write/fax letters: phone numbers, fax 
numbers (as well as bill text) are available at 
<http://leginfo.public.ca.gov> and all members 
can be written to at:

The Honorable (Name here)
California State Senate
State Capitol
Sacramento, CA 95814

Sample letter on AB 424:

The Honorable Leroy Greene
Chair, Senate Education Committee
State Capitol, Room 2083
Sacramento, CA 95814
<[email-masked]>

Re: AB 424 (Baldwin) / OPPOSE
Postsecondary education: armed forces training and recruitment.
As amended on May 22, 1997

Dear Senator Greene,

I am writing to register opposition to AB 424 by Assembly Member Steve 
Baldwin.

AB 424 would prohibit a public postsecondary educational institution (a 
Community College, a CSU school, or a UC school) from removing an 
armed forces training unit, a ROTC program, or military recruitment 
from their campus.  The right of a school, currently, to make this 
decision is appropriate, as the students and administration of a 
specific campus know what is best for their individual educational 
community.  AB 424 seeks to place this authority in the hands of the 
state - where it should not be.

Although recently enacted Federal law will force many schools to retain 
these programs, the fact remains that individual schools should be 
able to make the decision for themselves.  Dictating the policy of 
individual (taxpayer and student funded) colleges and universities is 
simply not the proper role for our State Legislature.

Last, military programs on public school campuses openly and actively 
discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation (in accordance with 
U.S. Department of Defense policy).  The discrimination that these 
programs engage in is doubly offensive considering that they exist on 
public school campuses.  These institutions are meant to be a place 
for education and growth - not discrimination and hostility.  
Individual schools are the only decision-making entities that can 
adequately decide whether military programs should remain on school 
campuses.

I very strongly urge your "no" vote on AB 424.  

Sincerely,

cc:	
All Members, Senate Committee on Education:
The Honorable Bruce McPherson* 		<[email-masked]>
The Honorable Dede Alpert*
The Honorable Ralph Dills	
The Honorable Tom Hayden
The Honorable Ray Haynes 	 	<[email-masked]>	
The Honorable Teresa Hughes*
The Honorable Ross Johnson	
The Honorable Pete Knight		<[email-masked]>
The Honorable Jack O'Connell* 
The Honorable Byron Sher 		<[email-masked]>
The Honorable John Vasconcellos 	<[email-masked]>
The Honorable Diane Watson 
* = very important to contact!

This message was brought to you by:
LIFE: California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS 
Lobby
926 J Street, Suite 522
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 444-0424
For more information about LIFE Lobby please go to our web page at 
<www.lifelobby.com>