Subject: CA: State Senator Threatens Governor With Initiative
From: Ellen McCormick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 16:49:49

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 2, 1997
Contacts:	
Ellen McCormick
Laurie McBride
LIFE: California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS 
Lobby
(916) 444-0424		

REPUBLICAN STATE SENATOR THREATENS GOVERNOR
WITH NEW ANTI-GAY RIGHTS INITIATIVE IN CALIFORNIA

Wednesday - State Senator Dick Mountjoy (R-Monrovia) issued a press 
release  vowing that if Governor Wilson signs AB 257 - a measure to 
bring gay and lesbian job protections in line with other protected 
groups - he will lead the charge to put it up to a vote on 
California's November 1988 ballot. 

"Wedge issue politics and worse," responded Laurie McBride when asked 
about Mountjoy's statements.  "He is threatening the Governor, telling 
Wilson to veto it or 'face the people.'  Obviously Mountjoy doesn't 
know that every poll for the past 6 or 7 years shows that 70% and more 
of the American public strongly support nondiscrimination policies for 
gays and lesbians.  He's just beating the same old drum of anti-gay 
discrimination."

McBride went on to note that AB 257, authored by Antonio Villaraigosa 
(D-Los Angeles), transfers existing job protections from the 
Department of Labor Standards Enforcement to the Department of Fair 
Employment and Housing.  If transferred, existing job protections for 
gays and lesbians would come into conformity with those for people of 
faith, people of color, people with disabilities, etc.

"AB 257 is such a simple, fair bill," added Ellen McCormick, LIFE's 
Legislative Advocate.  "First, it will mean that the window for filing 
a complaint will go from 30 days to one year.  Second, it means that 
the state will add "sexual orientation" to the list of protected 
groups on all its non-discrimination posters - the ones you see on the 
employee bulletin board."

In his press release Senator Mountjoy denounces AB 257 for giving 
"special rights" to gays and lesbians.  He neglects to mention that 
that current law gives them only 30 days to file a complaint, while 
all other groups get the "special right" of one year. 

McBride concluded by panning Mountjoy's faulty logic.  "Mountjoy insults 
the intelligence of every thinking Californian.  First he says being 
gay is a choice, and doesn't deserve protection.  Then he says that 
because employers can tell a person's gender or ethnicity, an employer 
can 'avoid discriminating against them.'  Does the Senator mean that 
discrimination would be okay if the employer couldn't tell?  So an 
employer who doesn't see a job applicant is free to make racial slurs?  
Or that employers just naturally discriminate except when they are 
"warned" by the visible 'reminder' of gender, race, or disability?   
What an idiotic and perverse thing to say.  But then Mountjoy never 
met a civil rights law that he liked."

The deadline for Governor Wilson to sign or veto AB 257 is midnight, 
October 13th.  Individuals are encouraged to send letters of support 
for AB 257 to: Governor Pete Wilson, State Capitol, Sacramento, CA 
95814.  Please "cc" LIFE Lobby and Wilson's Deputy, Michael Sweet.

###

This message has been brought to you by LIFE: California's Lesbian, Gay, 
Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS Lobby.  LIFE has been lobbying on 
behalf of California's lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and 
HIV-affected communities since 1986.  LIFE is the oldest and largest 
institution representing these communities in California's State 
Capitol and is proud to celebrate over a decade of service.  If you 
would like further information about current LGBT legislation, LIFE 
activities, events or membership please contact our office or go to 
our web site at:

LIFE: California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS 
Lobby 
926 J Street, Suite 522
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 444-0424
fax (916) 444-3059
<http://www.lifelobby.org>