Subject: CA: Legislative Update
From: "Ellen McCormick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 17:37:01 -0700

April 15, 1997
For Immediate Release
Contacts:		Ellen McCormick, Legislative Advocate
			Laurie McBride, Executive Director
			Sam Catalano, Legislative Assistant
			LIFE: California's Lesbian/Gay and AIDS Lobby
			(916) 444-0424

DOMESTIC PARTNER HEALTH CARE BENEFITS BILL 
PASSES FIRST COMMITTEE
AND OTHER LEGISLATIVE UPDATES...

AB 1059 by Assembly Member Carole Midgen (D-San Francisco) passed the
Assembly Insurance Committee today.  This measure would provide that
insurance carriers that offer spousal or dependent health care coverage
must also offer the option of coverage for an employee's domestic partner. 
Testifying in support of the bill were Tom Coleman, Spectrum Institute and
Laurie McBride, Executive Director for LIFE: California's Lesbian/Gay and
AIDS Lobby, also supporting the measure were representatives from the
California Congress of Seniors, the City of West Hollywood and various
civil rights organizations.

The bill will go next to the Assembly Appropriations Committee, of which
Assembly Member Migden is the chair.  Lobbying targets are Assembly Members
Joe Baca (D-San Bernardino), Mike Machado (D-Stockton), and Carl Washington
(D-Compton).  Please send letters directly to these members and to the
committee (as always, please "cc" LIFE Lobby).

Vote Count: AB 1059, 9-4
Figueroa, Chair		Yes
Alby, Vice Chair		No
Aguiar			No
Baldwin			No
Brewer			Abstention
Cunneen		Abstention
Escutia			Yes
Floyd			Yes
Gallegos		Yes
Honda			Yes
Keeley			Yes
Leach			No
Papan			Yes
Sweeney		Yes
Villaraigosa		Yes

Other pending legislation...

THE FOLLOWING BILLS ARE SET FOR HEARING - PLEASE SEND LETTERS NOW:

AB 53 (Murray): would allow unmarried couples to adopt.
Status: pending Assembly floor - ANY DAY NOW!	
Action: write to your member!  Lobbying targets: Assembly Members: Sally
Havice, Joe Baca, Jack Scott, Cruz Bustamante (Speaker), Dennis Cardoza,
Jan Goldsmith, Jim Cunneen, Steve Kuykendall, Mike Machado, Edward Vincent,
and Carl Washington.  Please copy your letter to all of these members.

SB 841 (Hayden): prohibits the state from contracting with any entity that
does not provide domestic partner benefits equivalent to spousal benefits
offered.
Status: pending Senate Judiciary, hearing set for 4/22/97
Action: write letters of support to Senator Hayden and Senator John Burton,
Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee

SB 911 (Knight): prohibits California from recognizing same gender
marriages from other states.
Status: pending Senate Judiciary, hearing set for 4/22/97
Action: This is it!  Write letters of opposition to Senator John Burton,
Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee 

AB 424 (Baldwin): requires all public post secondary schools (like CSUs) to
reinstate armed forces training unit programs and recruiting.
Status: pending Assembly Higher Education Committee, hearing set 4/22/97
Action: write letters of opposition to Assembly Member Ted Lempert, Chair
of the Assembly Higher Education Committee

AB 427 (Knox): provides domestic partner health care benefits for state
employees.
Status: pending the Assembly Public Employees Committee, hearing set for
4/23/97
Action: write letters of support to the author of the bill and chair of the
Committee: Assembly Member Wally Knox

AB 257 (Villaraigosa): adds "sexual orientation" to California's Fair
Employment and Housing Act.
Status: pending the Assembly Labor Committee, hearing set for 4/23/97
Action: write letters of support to Assembly Member Antonio Villaraigosa
and Assembly Member Dick Floyd, Chair of the Assembly Labor Committee.

AB 492 (Keeley): expands the window for filing a complaint of sexual
orientation discrimination with the Labor Commissioner from 30 days to 1
year.
Status: pending the Assembly Labor Committee, hearing set for 4/23/97
Action: write letters of support to Assembly Member Fred Keeley and
Assembly Member Dick Floyd, Chair of the Assembly Labor Committee.

AB 800 (Margett): prohibits California from recognizing same gender
marriages from other states (Assembly companion to SB 911).
Status: pending the Assembly Judiciary Committee, hearing set for 5/7/97
Action: write letters of opposition to Assembly Member Martha Escutia,
Chair of the Assembly Judiciary Committee

AB 1113 (House): parental rights legislation.
Status: pending the Assembly Judiciary Committee, hearing set for 5/14/97
Action: write letters of opposition to Assembly Member Martha Escutia,
Chair of the Assembly Judiciary Committee

As always, please "cc" your letters to LIFE Lobby.

Addresses: 		Assembly Member / Senator (Name Here)
			State Capitol
			Sacramento, CA 95814

			LIFE Lobby
			926 J Street, Suite 522
			Sacramento, CA 95814

LIFE: California's Lesbian/Gay and AIDS Lobby has been lobbying on behalf
of California's lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and HIV-affected
communities since 1986.  LIFE is the oldest and largest institution
representing these communities in California's State Capitol and is proud
to celebrate a decade of service