Subject: CA: Legislative Update and LIFE Lobby Action Alert, 06/04/97
From: "Ellen McCormick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 11:32:11 -0700

June 4, 1997
For Immediate Release
Contact:	Ellen McCormick, Legislative Advocate
	LIFE: California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS Lobby
		
CALIFORNIA LEGISLATIVE UPDATE:
The Good News and the Bad News

The good news first.  AB 1059, Assembly Member Carole Migden's measure to
require health maintenance organizations, as well as other health coverage
providers, to offer domestic partner health coverage as an option to small
employers - passed the Assembly floor with bipartisan support and is moving
to the State Senate.

The bad news.  AB 101, Assembly Member Sheila Kuehl's measure to prohibit
discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation in California's public
schools - failed on the Assembly floor after an hour of debate.  The debate
was both empowering and offensive.  Assembly Member Peter Frusetta (R-Tres
Pinos) peppered the debate with his 'expert testimony' on his experience
with homosexuality - that of watching hormonally imbalance heifers on his
farm that behaved "as bulls" toward other heifers.  All in all, he
concluded, it was "unnatural."  Empowering testimony came only from
Democratic members of the Assembly.  Such members as Jack Scott
(D-Altadena), Rod Wright (D-South Central Los Angeles), Fred Keeley
(D-Boulder Creek), Carole Migden (D-San Francisco), Kevin Murray (D-Los
Angeles), Kerry Mazzoni (D-Novato), Diane Martinez (D-Monterey Park), Mike
Honda (D-San Jose), Kevin Shelley (D-San Francisco) and Don Perata
(D-Alameda) spoke eloquently and compassionately on behalf of gay and
lesbian youth.

AB 257, Assembly Member Antonio Villaraigosa's measure to add "sexual
orientation" to California's Fair Employment and Housing Act - is still
currently pending on the Assembly floor.  Although it passed by the skin of
it's teeth yesterday - the Republican caucus has asked the House to
reconsider this vote.  Yesterday's passage is thanks to a last minute
switch by Assembly Member Mike Machado (D-Linden) and NO THANKS to Assembly
Member Carl Washington (D-Paramount) who voted for the bill in the Assembly
Labor Committee, but decided that he could not vote for the EXACT same bill
on the Assembly floor.

Still to be heard: AB 492, Assembly Member Fred Keeley's measure to expand
the filing time for individuals filing grievances with the Labor
Commissioner for workplace discrimination on the basis of sexual
orientation - is pending today on the Assembly floor.

AB 53, Assembly Member Kevin Murray's measure to allow unmarried couples to
adopt, and AB 54 (also by Murray) a measure to provide a statewide domestic
partner registry, are both pending on the Assembly floor.

Last, Assembly Member George House will attempt to remove his failed bill,
AB 1490, from the Assembly Education Committee for a vote by the full
Assembly floor.  AB 1490 would prohibit "the promotion or advocacy or
homosexuality" by California's public schools.  Currently, no schools in
California engage in this type of activity.  However, Assembly Member
House's staff has stated that programs that teach tolerance and respect for
diversity should not be supported by the state.  Apparently, shutting down
such programs is the purpose of the bill.
###
Action items: LIFE Lobby urges all interested individuals and organizations
to call or fax their Assembly Members immediately and urge them to:
VOTE "YES" ON AB 257.
VOTE "YES" ON AB 492.
VOTE "YES" ON AB 53.
VOTE "YES ON AB 54.
VOTE "NO" ON WITHDRAWING AB 1490 FROM THE ASSEMBLY EDUCATION COMMITTEE.

Swing Votes: Mike Machado (D-Linden), Dennis Cardoza (D-Merced), Sally
Havice (D-Cerritos), Carl Washington (D-Paramount), Jim Cunneen
(R-Cupertino), Steve Kuykendall (R-Long Beach), Brooks Firestone (R-Los
Olivos), and Marilyn Brewer (R-Newport Beach).

For fax and phone numbers of Assembly Members please consult your telephone
directory or contact LIFE Lobby at (916) 444-0424.