Subject: CA: Legislative Update 5-8-97
From: "Ellen McCormick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 15:44:16 -0700

May 8, 1997
For Immediate Release
Contacts:		Ellen McCormick, Legislative Advocate
			Laurie McBride, Executive Director
			Sam Catalano, Legislative Assistant
			(916) 444-0424

LIFE LOBBY DEFEATS "NO PROMO HOMO" BILL AND 
2ND ANTI-GAY MARRIAGE BILL IN CALIFORNIA,
AB 101 passes the State Assembly Appropriations Committee

May 7, 1997 - A day of anti-gay rhetoric ended in the defeat of AB 1490, a
bill by Assembly Member George House (R-Hughson) which would prohibit the
"promotion or advocacy of homosexuality" in California's public schools. 
Also defeated was AB 800, by Assembly Member Bob Margett (R-Arcadia), the
second anti-same gender marriage bill in the State Legislature.

In an impassioned hearing on AB 800, Assembly Member Barbara Alby (R-Fair
Oaks) asked where the gay and lesbian community drew the line with regard
to who should be able to marry and who should not.  She further questioned
that if LIFE Lobby asserts this is state sanctioned discrimination because
gay and lesbian people cannot marry, then "isn't the state also
discriminating against fathers who want to marry daughters or 14 year olds
who want to marry each other?"  Laurie McBride, Executive Director of LIFE
Lobby, said later, "this bigotry is so clear - they have no respect for our
relationships or for anyone who differs from the 'traditional family
model,' the hypocrisy is the absence of dialog about divorce rates, and
wife and child abuse in the 'traditional family model.' "  In the end, the
bill was not able to garner enough votes to pass the committee.

During the hearing on AB 1490, opponents of the bill spoke about high
suicide and high school drop out rates for gay, lesbian, bisexual and
questioning teens, and the need for intervention programs in schools for
youth.  "The bill says that schools may not 'promote or advocate
homosexuality as a viable lifestyle' - there isn't such a program in
California," said Ellen McCormick, LIFE Lobby Legislative Advocate, "there
are, however, programs that teach respect and tolerance for all people and
programs that teach young people how to deal with homophobia in the face of
violence.  These are programs that save lives and keep young people from
dropping out of school.  Though they don't 'advocate or promote,' this bill
could have been used to shut them down."  

Both AB 800 and AB 1490 were granted reconsideration, but are not likely to
pass.  Also, Assembly Member Sheila Kuehl's (D-Santa Monica) measure AB
101, passed the Assembly Appropriations Committee.  AB 101, the Dignity for
All Students Act, which will prohibit discrimination based on sexual
orientation in California's public schools will go next to the full
Assembly floor for a vote.  LIFE Lobby encourages all individuals and
organizations to write to their Assembly Member and urge them to support
this crucial bill.
###

LIFE: California's Lesbian/Gay and AIDS Lobby has been lobbying on behalf
of California's lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and HIV-affected
communities since 1986.  LIFE is the oldest and largest institution
representing these communities in California's State Capitol and is proud
to celebrate a decade of service.

LIFE: California's Lesbian/Gay and AIDS Lobby
926 J Street, Suite 522
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 444-0424, fax (916) 444-3059