Subject: CA: GOVERNOR VETOES AB 257
From: Ellen McCormick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 19:40:40

October 10, 1997
For Immediate Release
Contact: Ellen McCormick, Legislative Advocate
LIFE: California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS 
Lobby
(916) 444-0424

GOVERNOR VETOES GAY/LESBIAN/BISEXUAL CIVIL RIGHTS BILL

Sacramento - In an anticipated move late Friday, Governor Wilson vetoed 
AB 257, by Assembly Majority Leader Antonio R. Villaraigosa (D-Los 
Angeles), the measure to prohibit discrimination on the basis of 
sexual orientation under California's Fair Employment and Housing Act.

"Today is a very sad day for California's lesbian, bisexual and gay 
community.  Today our Governor has said that we are not as important - 
that the discrimination we face is not worth protecting the same as 
discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion, ethnicity, nation 
of origin or disability," said Ellen McCormick, Legislative Advocate 
for LIFE Lobby.  "This is the second time this measure has been before 
Governor Wilson, and the second time he has vetoed it." 

"This is clear presidential posturing," said Laurie McBride, LIFE's 
Executive Director.  "Wilson is pandering to the right wing votes he 
thinks he needs for a Republican primary. This is a Governor who 
claims to be against discrimination and in favor of strong law 
enforcement - but when he had a chance to protect some of the most 
vulnerable members of society he failed to pass the test.  
Unfortunately, the people who will suffer will be the most in need - 
gay, lesbian, and bisexual women and people of color.  All are a part 
of this diverse group we collectively call the 'gay' community, all of 
whom would have been helped greatly by AB 257."

McCormick finished, "last week LIFE Lobby hand delivered over 6,000 
letters to the Governor in support of AB 257, one wonders if the 
Governor gives any weight to the people who are affected by the laws 
of this state.  This bill will be introduced over and over again until 
we have a Governor that listens to the people."

###

In protest of the veto of AB 257, LIFE Lobby WANTS YOU to register to 
vote (or re-register as a symbolic gesture) and mail your stub to 
Governor Wilson with an appropriate note.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been brought to you by LIFE: California's Lesbian, Gay, 
Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS Lobby.  LIFE has been lobbying on 
behalf of California's lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and 
HIV-affected communities since 1986.  LIFE is the oldest and largest 
institution representing these communities in California's State 
Capitol and is proud to celebrate over a decade of service.  If you 
would like further information about LIFE activities, events or 
membership please contact our office at:

LIFE: California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS 
Lobby 
1301 H Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 444-0424
fax (916) 444-3059
<http://www.lifelobby.org>