Subject: California: AB 53, AB 54, AB 257 and SB 535 pass their first commitees
From: "Ellen McCormick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 17:18:21 -0800

April 2, 1997
For Immediate Release

Contacts:	Ellen McCormick, Legislative Advocate		(916) 444-0424
		Laurie McBride, Executive Director
		Sam Catalano, Legislative Assistant
		LIFE: California's Lesbian/Gay and AIDS Lobby

FOUR MAJOR BILLS FOR THE LESBIAN/GAY/BISEXUAL AND HIV-AFFECTED COMMUNITIES
PASS THEIR FIRST COMMITTEES

Today, three California State Assembly and Senate committees ratified four
measure of great importance to the gay, lesbian, bisexual and HIV-affected
communities of California. 

AB 53, by Assembly Member Kevin Murray, which would prohibit discrimination
on the basis of marital status in state adoptions was passed by the
Assembly Judiciary Committee.  AB 54, also by Assembly Member Murray, which
would provide a statewide domestic partnership registry was passed by the
Assembly Judiciary Committee.  AB 257, by Assembly Member Antonio
Villaraigosa, which would add gays and lesbians to the classes protected
under California's Fair Employment and Housing Act, was passed by the
Assembly Housing Committee.  Last, SB 535, by Senator John Vasconcellos, a
measure to clarify the recently enacted Medicinal Use of Marijuana
Initiative, was passed by the Senate Health Committee.

All measures were passed by very close votes and with much debate. 
Although the debate surrounding Medicinal Use of Marijuana was civil due to
the fact that the initiative itself had already passed, the debates over
the other three bills were heated.  "At times I felt the opposition was
simply cruel in what they had to say." said Ellen McCormick, Legislative
Advocate for LIFE: California's Lesbian/Gay and AIDS Lobby, "During the
debate on AB 257, Assembly Member Bernie Richter said - without
substantiation - that 'all homosexuals - men and women - have a life span
of 42 years,' this he insinuated was due to our 'dangerous lifestyle.'  I
have no idea what Mr. Richter thinks this has to do with the Fair
Employment and Housing Act."

"The good news is that our allies are coming out swinging when they hear
nonsense like this," said Laurie McBride, LIFE Lobby Executive Director,
"Assembly Members Kuehl, Floyd, Papan, Hertzberg, and Havice were
especially eloquent on AB 53, 54 and 257 - it just goes to show that our
issues go beyond their relevance for our community - they are human
issues."

Each bill will now go to a new committee or to a full floor vote.  "There
is still time to get in letters of support for all of these bills," said
Sam Catalano, LIFE Lobby Legislative Assistant, "this is especially
important as the radical right will be angered from today's success -
please contact LIFE to get more information on these bills."

###

LIFE: California's Lesbian/Gay and AIDS Lobby has been lobbying on behalf
of California's lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and HIV-affected
communities since 1986.  LIFE is the oldest and largest institution
representing these communities in California's State Capitol and is proud
to celebrate a decade of service.

VOTE COUNTS
AB 53: Assembly Judiciary, 10 - 2
Escutia		Y
Morrow		N
Alby		N
Aroner		Y
Baugh		Abstention
Caldera		Y
Figueroa	Y
Floyd		Y
Kaloogian	Abstention
Keeley		Y
Kuehl		Y
McClintock	Abstention
Ortiz		Y
Pacheco	Abstention
Shelley		Y
Villaraigosa	Y
AB 53 will go next to the full Assembly floor.

AB 54: Assembly Judiciary, 10 - 3
Escutia		Y
Morrow		N
Alby		Abstention
Aroner		Y
Baugh		N
Caldera		Y
Figueroa	Y
Floyd		Y
Kaloogian	Abstention
Keeley		Y
Kuehl		Y
McClintock	Abstention
Ortiz		Y
Pacheco	N
Shelley		Y
Villaraigosa	Y
AB 54 will go next to the Assembly Appropriations Committee (Chair:
Assembly Member Migden)

AB 257: Assembly Housing, 7-5
Torlakson	Y
McClintock	N
Ducheny	Y
Havice		Y
Hertzberg	Y
Leach		N
Miller		N
Papan		Y
Prenter		N
Richter		N
Vincent		Y
Wright		Y
AB 257 will go next to the Assembly Labor Committee (Chair: Assembly Member
Floyd)

SB 535: Senate Health, 5-2
Watson		Y
Haynes		N
Hughes		Y
Maddy		Abstention
Mountjoy	N
Polanco		Y
Solis		Y
Thompson	Abstention
Vasconcellos	Y
SB 535 will go next to the Senate Public Safety Committee (Chair: Senator
Vasconcellos)

For more information about these bills or any other gay/lesbian or
HIV-related legislation, please contact LIFE Lobby at (916) 444-0424.