Subject: Final CA Governor's Actions: HIV/Healthcare & LGBT Civil Rights Bills
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 13:31:09 -0400 (EDT)

October 16, 1997

LIFE:  California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS Lobby

FINAL GOVERNOR'S ACTIONS: HIV/Healthcare & LGBT Civil Rights

Public Policy Staff:	

Ellen McCormick, Legislative Advocate		Eric Astacaan, Legislative Advocate

Laurie McBride, Executive Director			Sam Catalano, Legislative Assistant

Below please find the final governor's actions on the following bills passed
in the first year of the 1997-98 Legislative Session.  For full bill
descriptions and/or positions, please refer to your current Legislative
Update or go to <www.lifelobby.org>.

HIV/HEALTHCARE

Approved/Signed by the Governor; Chaptered by the Secretary of State

AB 29 (Villaraigosa):  Terminally Ill Prisoners' Compassionate Release

	- Chapter 751, Statutes of 1997

AB 489 (Figueroa):  Allows Owners of Group Life Insurance Policies to Make

	Viatical Settlements - Chapter 440, Statutes of 1997

AB 995 (Pacheco):  "Gassing" as Criminal Battery - Chapter 591, Statutes of
1997

AB 1126 (Villaraigosa):  Children's Health Coverage - Chapter 623, Statutes
of 1997

SB 163 (Solis):  Exempts Eligible Welfare Caregiver from the 2-Year Work
Requirement and the 	5-Year Eligibility Limitations - Chapter 795, Statutes
of 1997

SB 719 (Johnston):  Extension of COBRA Coverage - Chapter 665, Statutes of
1997

SB 1262 (Johnston):  HIV Test for Life Insurance to Include Any Body
Specimen

	- Chapter 496, Statutes of 1997

Vetoed by the Governor

AB 49 (Murray) - Workers' Compensation, Death Benefits & HIV-Related Disease

AB 536 (Gallegos) - Requires Physicians to be CA Licensed to be Able to Deny
Services

	to Health Plan Holders

AB 600 (Kuehl) - Provides Preventative Healthcare Services to Low-Income
People

AB 794 (Figueroa) - Provides Disclosure of Health Plans' Process in Denying

	or Authorizing Health Care Services

AB 1099 (Migden) - Exempts People Living with AIDS/HIV from Paying Medi-Cal
Share of

	Cost Requirement Up to $2500/Month

AB 1341 (Alquist) - Requires State Funded Health Research to Include Women's
Health

SB 253 (Burton) - Prohibits Health Care Facilities from Discriminating or
Retaliating Against

	Employees/Patients Who Filed Grievances

SB 1007 (Vasconcellos) - Comprehensive Statewide Plan for Prev. & Treatment
of HIV/AIDS

SB 1035 (Polanco) - Requires DHS to Respond Within 90 Days to Any Federal
Solicitation

	to Expand Medi-Cal to Cover HIV+ Individuals

LGBT CIVIL RIGHTS

AB 45 (Murray):  Domestic Violence Punishment - Signed by the Governor.
Chapter 847, Statutes of 1997

AB 257 (Villaraigosa):  Amends the FEHA to Include Sexual Orientation
Vetoed by the Governor

************************************************************************

This message is brought to you by LIFE:  California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual,
Transgender and HIV/AIDS Lobby.  LIFE has been advocating on behalf of
California's lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and HIV-affected
Californians since 1986.  Our organization is the oldest and largest
institution representing these communities in California's State Capitol and
is proud to celebrate over a decade of service.  If you would life further
information about LIFE's activities, events or membership, please contact our
office at:

LIFE:	California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender &
		HIV/AIDS Lobby & Institute
1301 "H" Street
Sacramento, California  95814-1906
Phone:  916-444-0424
Fax:  916-444-3059
E-Mail:  [email-masked]
Website:  http://www.lifelobby.org