Subject: Urge CA Gov. Wilson to Sign AB 29
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 17:45:08 -0400 (EDT)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (Thursday, September 25, 1997)

LIFE:  California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender & HIV/AIDS Lobby

Contact:  Eric-Joseph C. Astacaan, (916) 444-0424
		[email-masked] or [email-masked]

COMPASSIONATE RELEASE OF TERMINALLY ILL INMATES

DESERVES TO BECOME LAW

Assembly Bill 29, sponsored by Assemblymember Antonio Villaraigosa, would
allow expedited compassionate release of terminally ill inmates.  This bill
currently sits on the governor's desk for his signature.  Previously,
Governor Wilson has twice vetoed similar measures because it took too much
authority away from the Board of Prison Terms or that it does not properly
consider the risk to public safety.

AB 29 has been amended to alleviate the governor's objections.  This measure
would establish a procedure, where if the Director of Corrections or the
Board of Prison Terms (BPT) or both recommend to the court that a prisoner's
sentence be recalled, the court may recall the sentence if the court finds
that the prisoner is terminally ill and the conditions under which the inmate
would be released or receive treatment do not pose a threat to public safety.
 The bill, however, does not apply to prisoners sentenced to death or a term
of life without the possibility of parole.

Several reasons exist why this bill should become law.

a) AB 29 authorizes a court to recall a sentence only upon recommendation by
the Department of Corrections (CDC) or BPT or both, and does not diminish or
eliminate BPT's ability to recall a sentence on their own.

b) This measure saves California significant cost due to reduced
incarceration as well as significant medical care cost savings.  For one
thing, medical care provided outside a penal institution means no additional
security personnel and other security measures.

c) Terminally ill prisoners, when released back into the community, would
receive medical care that would be shared by private funds, Medi-Cal, Social
Security, and other public means.  In return, CDC's savings could be
earmarked for other needed services.

d) This bill is a compassionate and rational policy which would allow
inmates to spend their final days with their families and loved ones.

In general, AB 29 will streamline the process of the "current medical
release" or "recall of sentence" statute, and simply set strict medical
criteria for compassionate medical releases without undermining the CDC or
BPT's strong position in evaluating the threat to public safety or their
authority to recall sentences on their own.

Clearly, this bill should become law and deserves Governor Wilson's
signature.

#####

URGENT ACTION NEEDED:  Please send or fax letters or call Governor Wilson
and urge him to sign AB 29 into law.

The Honorable Pete Wilson

Governor, State of California

State Capitol, First Floor

Sacramento, CA  95814

Phone:  916/445-2841, Fax:  916/445-4633

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

This message has been brought to you by LIFE: California's Lesbian, Gay,
Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS Lobby.  LIFE has been lobbying on behalf
of California's lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and HIV-affected
communities since 1986.  LIFE is the oldest and largest institution
representing these communities in California's State Capitol and is proud to
celebrate over a decade of service. If you would like further information
about our activities, events or membership, please contact our office at:

LIFE:  California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender & HIV/AIDS Lobby
1301 H St., Ste. 200
Sacramento, CA  95814-1906
Phone:  (916) 444-0424
Fax:  (916) 444-3059
E-Mail:  [email-masked]
Website:  http://lifelobby.org