Subject: CA: AB 257 OP-ED
From: Ellen McCormick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 17:46:46

October 2, 1997

Hello all, and Welcome to the new subscribers on this list!

We're still waiting for the Governor to take action on AB 257 - he has 
until Oct. 13th.  In the meantime, to counter any and all press 
attacks that the right may have up their sleeve(s), we're asking that 
individuals throughout the state write opinions/letters to submit to 
their local papers for printing.  Its clear that regardless of what 
happens with AB 257, the radical right will be sending letters and 
essays to their local papers.  Its important that we do the same.  
Please look over the sample op-ed piece that I've attached.  Do not 
send or reproduce this sample, it is written by me for submission to 
the Sacramento Bee.  Please write about your own experience or the 
experience of someone close to you and send it with a cover letter to 
the Editor of your paper's editorial pages.

If you need further information on this or any other bill, please call 
or write back to this message.

Many thanks!
Ellen McCormick
Legislative Advocate
LIFE: California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS 
Lobby

OP-ED

Assembly Bill 257

I'm writing this on behalf of a friend I'll call Sara.  She didn't want 
to write this herself because she already has enough trouble at work.

Sara works in the warehouse of a large shipping corporation.  She's one 
of a few women working in that part of the building.  In some ways, 
the men at work treat her as "one of the guys."  And in some ways that 
makes sense to them because Sara is a lesbian.  

Sara is quiet and a little shy.  Mostly, she kept to herself.  But two 
months ago, she responded to one of the guys' "little jokes" about her 
sexual orientation.  She was greeted with taunts, a barrage of 
name-calling and threats of violence from her co-workers.  The trauma 
of the incident kept her off work for a week.  Now, afraid of a repeat 
performance, she keeps to herself and thinks about quitting.  But 
she's a single mother with a three-year old daughter, and being out of 
work is not a possibility.

She complained to her supervisor, but he just said, "boys will be boys.  
And anyway, if you're gay, you should get used to this type of thing.  
You can put up with it, or move on."

Sara didn't know it, but her supervisor was wrong.  It's against the law 
in California to discriminate based on a person's sexual orientation.

But unlike every other prohibited type of discrimination - race, 
religion, age, gender, or disability - bias against gays is prohibited 
under the state's Labor Code, and very few employers, or employees, 
know that.

Every other type of discrimination is covered under the Fair Employment 
and Housing Act.  And that act requires that a notice be put up in 
every workplace listing which discriminatory practices are prohibited 
by law.  But because the Fair Employment and Housing Act doesn't cover 
discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, those notices 
usually placed near the water cooler or in the lunch room don't list 
"sexual orientation."

Sara knows the other forms of discrimination are illegal.  She saw the 
notice.  And if the acts against her had been based on race or 
religion, she could still complain to the Department of Fair 
Employment and Housing.  After all, there are still 10 months left on 
that complaint period.

But now she has no recourse, and telling her about the law in the Labor 
Code is no help.  You see, the Labor Code only gives her thirty days 
to complain, and that passed a month ago.

"I think about pushing it," Sara told me.  "I think about going over my 
supervisor's head and talking to his boss.  But then I remember I just 
can't risk losing my job.  I can't risk not being able to take care of 
my daughter - just to make them stop this every day harassment.  It's 
too much to lose."

Because of cases like Sara's, the Legislature this year passed a 
measure, AB 257 by Assembly Majority Leader Antonio Villaraigosa, 
D-Los Angeles.  It's a simple bill.  It will add "sexual orientation" 
to the Fair Employment and Housing Act, the place where every other 
form of discrimination is listed and prohibited.  The bill is on 
Governor Wilson's desk, awaiting his signature.

Sara believes that change will work.

She told me, "That we experience little or no race or gender 
discrimination at work is actually a testament to the effectiveness of 
the posting requirements.  Had sexual orientation been on that list, 
things might have been different."

Sara's case is common.  But if Governor Wilson signs AB 257, it could 
become the exception instead of the rule.

Ellen McCormick
Legislative Advocate
LIFE: California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS 
Lobby

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been brought to you by LIFE: California's Lesbian, Gay, 
Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS Lobby.  LIFE has been lobbying on 
behalf of California's lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and 
HIV-affected communities since 1986.  LIFE is the oldest and largest 
institution representing these communities in California's State 
Capitol and is proud to celebrate over a decade of service.  If you 
would like further information about current LGBT legislation, LIFE 
activities, events or membership please contact our office or go to 
our web site at:

LIFE: California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS 
Lobby 
926 J Street, Suite 522
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 444-0424
fax (916) 444-3059
<http://www.lifelobby.org>