From: Laurie McBride <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 15:23:23

July 16, 1997
For Immediate Release

Contact:		
Ellen McCormick
Legislative Advocate
LIFE: California's 
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS Lobby
(916) 444-0424

GAY/LESBIAN/BISEXUAL CIVIL RIGHTS LEGISLATION PASSES STATE SENATE 
COMMITTEE

Sacramento - AB 257, the measure to prohibit sexual orientation
discrimination in housing and in the workplace, passed the Senate 
Judiciary Committee last night by a vote of 6 - 3.

This measure, authored by Assembly Member Antonio Villaraigosa (D-Los
Angeles), would add "sexual orientation" as a protected class under
California's Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA).  Currently, gay,
lesbian and bisexual people are protected from discrimination in the
workplace under California's Labor Code and in housing through case law.  

"This bill is necessary because people simply aren't aware of the
protections available to them," said Laurie McBride, Executive Director 
of
LIFE Lobby, "we also have found that the Department of Labor has not 
been responding to complaints of sexual orientation discrimination - 
this
protection must appear in FEHA because that department understands
complaints of discrimination."  The Department of Fair Employment and
Housing is already charged with investigating and enforcing workplace 
and
housing discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, 
marital
status, national origin, ancestry, and disability.  Sexual orientation
discrimination is the only type of discrimination that the Department of
Labor is charged with enforcing.  AB 257 would move this existing
protection from the Labor Code to the more appropriate FEHA.

With regard to housing, sexual orientation discrimination is currently
prohibited through case law and the Department of Fair Employment and
Housing investigates and enforces complaints.  AB 257 would codify this
current practice.

AB 257 passed the Senate Judiciary Committee by a 6 - 3 vote, with 
Senators Burton (D-San Francisco), Calderon (D-Whittier), Lee 
(D-Oakland), Lockyer (D-Hayward), O'Connell (D-Carpinteria) and Sher 
(D-Palo Alto) voting for the bill; and Senators Haynes (R-Riverside), 
Leslie (R-Roseville) and Wright (R-simi Valley) voting against.

###

This message has been brought to you by LIFE: California's Lesbian, Gay,
Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS Lobby.  LIFE has been lobbying on 
behalf of California's lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and 
HIV-affected
communities since 1986.  LIFE is the oldest and largest institution
representing these communities in California's State Capitol and is 
proud
to celebrate over a decade of service.  If you would like further
information about LIFE activities, events or membership please contact 
our
office at:

LIFE: California's 
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS Lobby 
926 J Street, Suite 522
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 444-0424
fax (916) 444-3059
<http://www.lifelobby.org>

Please thank the Senators who voted for AB 257!  Write to them at:
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; Senator John 
Burton - no e-mail address; and Senator Barbara Lee - no e-mail 
address.