Subject: CA: AB 257 FAILS SENATE VOTE
From: Ellen McCormick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 18:15:15

September 8, 1997
For Immediate Release
Contact:
Ellen McCormick
LIFE: California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS 
Lobby

GAY/LESBIAN CIVIL RIGHTS BILL FAILS ON STATE SENATE FLOOR

Bending to pressure from the Radical Right, three Democratic Senators 
and fifteen Republic Senators voted to block AB 257 - the measure 
which would prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation 
in employment and housing.  Senator Calderon (D - Whittier) abstained 
from voting.  The bill has been granted reconsideration and may be 
voted on again this week.

"That the California State Senate would deny gay and lesbian citizens 
access to employment and housing equality in this state is blatantly 
offensive.  Failing this bill sends a message to our community that we 
should be discriminated against in our jobs and in our choice of 
home," said Ellen McCormick, Legislative Advocate for LIFE Lobby.

AB 257 may be voted on for reconsideration as early as Tuesday, 
September 9th.

###

Phone calls, faxes and e-mail messages will be crucial for the upcoming 
reconsideration vote - please contact the following members 
immediately and urge them to change their vote!:

Ruben Ayala (D - Chino) - voted "no" on AB 257
phone: (916) 445-6868
district phone: (909) 466-6882
fax: (916) 445-0128
e-mail: [email-masked]

Jim Costa (D - Fresno) - voted "no" on AB 257
phone: (916) 445-4641
district phone: (209) 264-3078
fax: (916) 327-5989
e-mail: none

Steve Peace (D - El Cajon / San Diego) - voted "no" on AB 257
phone: (916) 445-6767
district phone: (619) 463-0243
fax: (916) 327-3522
e-mail: [email-masked]

Bruce McPherson (R - Santa Cruz) - voted "no" on AB 257
phone: (916) 445-5843
district phone: (408) 425-0401
fax: (916) 445-8081
e-mail: [email-masked]

Charles Calderon (D - Whittier) - abstained on AB 257
phone: (916) 327-8315
district phone: (213) 724-6175
fax: none
e-mail: [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been brought to you by LIFE: California's Lesbian, Gay, 
Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS Lobby.  LIFE has been lobbying on 
behalf of California's lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and 
HIV-affected communities since 1986.  LIFE is the oldest and largest 
institution representing these communities in California's State 
Capitol and is proud to celebrate over a decade of service.  If you 
would like further information about LIFE activities, events or 
membership please contact our office at:

LIFE: California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS 
Lobby 
926 J Street, Suite 522
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 444-0424
fax (916) 444-3059
<http://www.lifelobby.org>