Subject: CA: Action Alert - AB 1059 (Migden)
From: Ellen McCormick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 17:05:05

July 28, 1997
Contact:	Ellen McCormick, Legislative Advocate
		LIFE: CA's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS Lobby

ACTION ALERT: LETTERS, FAXES, PHONE CALLS AND E-MAIL MESSAGES NEEDED IN 
SUPPORT OF AB 1059!

AB 1059, by Assembly Member Carole Migden will allow employers the 
option of providing domestic partner health care coverage to their 
employees.  

This bill is pending before the full Senate Floor.  Please write, fax, 
call or e-mail your Senator immediately!  This bill may be heard as 
early as Thursday (07/31/97) and as late as early September.  Senators 
that especially need lobbying: Senators Costa (D - Fresno) and Ayala 
(D - Chino).

All Senators can be written to at the following address: 	
The Honorable (Name)
State Capitol
Sacramento, CA 95814

For phone and fax numbers consult your local telephone directory 
(Government pages in front) - or go to <http://leginfo.public.co.gov>.  
E-mail addresses have been included at the end of this message.

- SAMPLE LETTER -

The Honorable Bill Lockyer
President pro Tempore, California State Senate
State Capitol, Room 205
Sacramento, CA 95814

Re: Assembly Bill 1059 (Migden)
Health coverage: domestic partners.
SUPPORT

Dear Senator Lockyer,

I am writing to express my support for AB 1059 by Assembly Member 
Migden.  This measure would require health care service plans (Health 
Maintenance Organizations, for example) to provide domestic partner 
coverage options as they provide spousal coverage options to 
contracting employers.

Current law requires health care service plans to provide coverage for 
certain health benefits and services to employers.  Under AB 1059, 
health care service plans that offer employee spousal health coverage 
options must also offer employee domestic partner health coverage 
options.  In practical terms, AB 1059 allows employers contracting 
with a health care service plan to offer coverage - if they so choose 
- to an employee(s) domestic partner.  In no way is AB 1059 a mandate 
on employers to offer domestic partner coverage to their employees.  
AB 1059 simply allows an employer the option of making domestic 
partner coverage available to its employees through the employer's 
chosen health care service plan.

Currently, many large businesses have the ability to negotiate directly 
with their health care service plans and receive domestic partner 
health coverage for their employees.  Yet, many small businesses that 
wish to offer domestic partner benefits find their hands tied because 
their health service plan will not allow coverage.  Thus, the employer 
is not able to provide for their employees as they choose to.

AB 1059 is beneficial to all parties involved.  Health care service 
plans will expand their insured base and employers will have the 
option of providing domestic partner health coverage to their 
employees.  AB 1059 is a fair measure that allows employers to decide 
what is best for their own company.  I strongly urge your "aye" vote 
on AB 1059.

Sincerely,

CALIFORNIA STATE SENATE E-MAIL ADDRESSES (NO PARTICULAR ORDER):

Senator William "Pete" Knight (R) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator Diane Watson (D) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator Tim Leslie (R) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator Teresa Hughes (D) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator Steve Peace (D) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator Rob Hurtt (R) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator Richard Mountjoy (R) <[email-masked]>;
Senator Ray Haynes (R) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator Ruben Ayala (R) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator Quentin L. Kopp (Ind) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator Pat Johnston (D) <[email-masked]>;
Senator Maurice Johannessen (R) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator Leroy Greene (D) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator Ken Maddy (R) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator John Vasconcellos (D) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator John L. Lewis (R) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator Jack O'Connell (D) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator Herschel Rosenthal (D) <[email-masked]>;
Senator Dick Monteith (R) <[email-masked]>;
Senator David Kelley (R) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator Cathie Wright (R) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator Charles Calderon (D) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator Byron Sher (D) <[email-masked]>;
Senator Bruce McPherson (R) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator Bill Lockyer (D) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator James Brulte (R) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator Dede Alpert (D) <[email-masked]>; 
Senator Adam Schiff (D) <[email-masked]>;
Senator Betty Karnette (D) <[email-masked]>
Senator Mike Thompson (D) <[email-masked]>
Senator John Burton (D) - no e-mail address
Senator Jim Costa (D) - no e-mail address
Senator William Craven (R) <[email-masked]>
Senator Ralph Dills (D) - no e-mail address
Senator Tom Hayden (D) <[email-masked]>
Senator Ross Johnson (R) - no e-mail address
Senator Barbara Lee (D) - no e-mail address
Senator Richard Polanco (D) <[email-masked]>
Senator Richard Rainey (R) - no e-mail address
Senator Hilda Solis (D) - no e-mail address

This message has been brought to you by LIFE: California's Lesbian, Gay, 
Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS Lobby.  LIFE has been lobbying on 
behalf of California's lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and 
HIV-affected communities since 1986.  LIFE is the oldest and largest 
institution representing these communities in California's State 
Capitol and is proud to celebrate over a decade of service.  If you 
would like further information about LIFE activities, events or 
membership please contact our office at:

LIFE: California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS 
Lobby 
926 J Street, Suite 522
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 444-0424
Fax (916) 444-3059
<http://www.lifelobby.org>