Subject: CA: AB 101 passes Education Committee
From: "Ellen McCormick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 20:08:09 -0700

April 9, 1997
For Immediate Release

Contacts:	Ellen McCormick, Legislative Advocate		(916) 444-0424
		Sam Catalano, Legislative Assistant
		Laurie McBride, Executive Director
		LIFE: California's Lesbian/Gay and AIDS Lobby

AB 101 -- THE DIGNITY FOR ALL STUDENTS ACT
PASSES THE ASSEMBLY EDUCATION COMMITTEE: 11 - 8

After a two and half hour debate AB 101, (by Assembly Member Sheila Kuehl)
the measure to end discrimination based on sexual orientation in
California's public schools, was passed by the Assembly Education
Committee.  Speaking for the bill were numerous gay and lesbian youth;
Stephanie Reed, a Petaluma mother who's son took his own life because of
severe harassment and abuse from his classmates at school for being gay;
many educators; and Education lobbying organizations.  As well, in a press
conference earlier that day Jamie Nabozny, the litigant in the landmark
federal court ruling on gay students, spoke to the press about his
experience being abused and harassed in a public school.

During the hearing and the morning press conference, the proponents of the
bill cited numerous cases of verbal and physical gay-bashing in
California's public schools.  Several youth spoke of incidents that would
be remedied by AB 101.  Opponents of AB 101 again asserted that the bill
forces homosexuality on students in schools and misconstrued the bill to
apply to religious private schools.

"This bill is about stopping discrimination based on sexual orientation in
public schools - nothing more," said Laurie McBride, LIFE Lobby Executive
Director, "the radical right can try to bend this bill into whatever
perception they want, but in the end it's still just about stopping
discrimination, the Members of the [Assembly] committee understand this."

AB 101 will next be heard by the Assembly Appropriations Committee.  LIFE
Lobby urges individuals and organizations to send letters to the author of
the bill, Assembly Member Sheila Kuehl, and to send a copy ("cc") to the
Chair of the Appropriations Committee (Assembly Member Carole Migden), to
LIFE Lobby and to their own Assembly Member and Senator.  To write to an
Assembly Member or Senator you may use the following address: State
Capitol, Sacramento, CA 95814.

###

LIFE: California's Lesbian/Gay and AIDS Lobby has been lobbying on behalf
of California's lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and HIV-affected
communities since 1986.  LIFE is the oldest and largest institution
representing these communities in California's State Capitol and is proud
to celebrate a decade of service.

VOTE COUNT: ASSEMBLY EDUCATION COMMITTEE
Mazzoni (Chair)		Yes
Pacheco (Vice Chair)	No
Alquist			Yes
Bowen			Yes
Bowler			No
Campbell		Abstention
Davis			Yes
Goldsmith		No
Honda			Yes
House			No
Leach			No
Lempert			Yes
Leonard			No
Morrow			No
Scott			Yes
Strom-Martin		Yes
Sweeney		Yes
Villaraigosa		Yes
Washington		No
Wayne			Yes
Wildman		Abstention

LIFE: California's Lesbian/Gay and AIDS Lobby
926 J Street, Suite 522
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 444-0424