Subject: AB 101 PASSES FIRST COMMITTEE
From: "Ellen McCormick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 18:02:39 -0800

March 18, 1997
For Immediate Release
Contacts:		Ellen McCormick, Legislative Advocate
			Laurie McBride, Executive Director
			(916) 444-0424

AB 101 - THE DIGNITY FOR ALL STUDENTS ACT
PASSES FIRST COMMITTEE

AB 101, the Dignity for All Students Act, passed the Assembly Higher
Education Committee today by a vote of 8 - 6 (one abstention).  The
legislation would prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation in
California's public schools.

Discussion centered primarily on armed forces training unit issues,
affirmative action issues, and school facility use.  The author, Assembly
Member Sheila Kuehl (D - Santa Monica), accepted amendments clarifying the
measure with regard to all three issues.

"The intent of the bill is not to infringe on anyone's freedom of speech or
right to assemble," said Ellen McCormick, Legislative Advocate for LIFE:
California's Lesbian/Gay and AIDS Lobby, "the intent of the AB 101 is to
stop rampant physical and verbal assault of gay and lesbian students in our
public schools, the amendments taken today do no more than reaffirm current
law and the intent of AB 101."

"We are ecstatic at today's outcome," said Laurie McBride, LIFE Lobby
Executive Director, "the radical right, with all of their rhetoric and
hateful misinterpretation of the bill were not able to prevail as they did
in 1996.  We are confident that this bill is sound public policy and in
this new climate - is finally being recognized as such."

AB 101 will be heard next by the Assembly Education Committee in early
April.  LIFE Lobby urges individuals to write to the committee immediately
to express support for this important legislation.  Letters to the Assembly
Education Committee should be addressed to:
				Assembly Member Kerry Mazzoni
				Chair, Assembly Education Committee
				State Capitol, Room 3123
				Sacramento, CA 95814
Final Vote Count: 8-6
Ted Lempert, Chair 		(D-Palo Alto)		Yes	
Brooks Firestone, Vice Chair	(R-Santa Barbara)	No	
Dick Ackerman			(R-Fullerton)		No	
Roy Ashburn			(R-Bakersfield)		No	
Steve Baldwin			(R-La Mesa)		No	
Debra Bowen			(D-Torrance)		Yes	
Louis Caldera			(D-Los Angeles)		Yes
Dennis Cardoza			(D-Turlock)		No
Jim Cuneen			(R-Campbell)		Yes
Sally Havice			(D-Artesia)		No
Fred Keeley			(D-Santa Cruz)		Yes
Wally Knox			(D-Los Angeles)		Yes
Sheila Kuehl			(D-Santa Monica)	Yes
Steve Kuykendall		(R-Long Beach)		Abstention
Jack Scott			(D-Pasadena)		Yes
###

LIFE: California's Lesbian/Gay and AIDS Lobby has been lobbying on behalf
of California's lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and HIV-affected
communities since 1986.  LIFE is the oldest and largest institution
representing these communities in California's State Capitol and is proud
to celebrate a decade of service.

For further information on AB 101 or any other gay/lesbian or HIV-related
issue please contact LIFE Lobby at (916) 444-0424.

LIFE Lobby
926 J Street, Suite 522
Sacramento, CA 95814