Subject: 1997 Legislative Voting Record - CA State Legislature
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 18:51:30 -0500 (EST)

Dear Colleagues, Friends and Allies:

Below please find the 1997 legislative voting record for the California State
Legislature.  

If you have any questions or would like to receive a hard copy of this voting
record, please give me a call at 916.444.0424 or e-mail me with your snail
address at [email-masked] or [email-masked]

Thank you.

In Solidarity,

Eric-Joseph C. Astacaan
HIV/Healthcare Legislative Advocate/Research Analyst
LIFE:  California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender & HIV/AIDS Lobby &
Institute
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------

1997 LEGISLATIVE VOTING RECORD

CALIFORNIA STATE ASSEMBLY AND SENATE

The following voting record consists of two parts:  bill descriptions and
voting tables.  The bill descriptions include a description of each bill as
it was written at the time of the vote.  The vote tallies and dates follow
the descriptions.  The voting tables list how the members voted on the ten
selected bills [A1 - A10:  Bills Voted on in the State Assembly; S1 - S10:
 Bills Voted on in the State Senate) for each chamber and their total score.
 In addition, we tallied how members voted in each policy area.  Members are
rated 10 points for voting with our position, -10 for voting against, and 0
for an abstention giving the highest possible score of 100 and the lowest
possible score of -100.  Please note that a total score such as 50/70 or a
vote marking of "n/a" signifies that the member had resigned from the
legislature when a specific vote was taken.

LGBT CIVIL RIGHTS POLICIES

[A1] AB 101 (Kuehl) / SUPPORT

"Dignity for All Students Bill":  AB 101 would add "sexual orientation" to
all sections of the Education Code which prohibit discrimination.  As
amended, AB 101 would have no impact on armed forces training units (ROTC),
Boys Scouts programs, or require any affirmative action based on a student's
sexual orientation in public schools.

06/03/97:  Failed in the State Assembly, 36-40

Status:  Author did not seek reconsideration.  No further action in 1998.

[S1] AB 157 (Villaraigosa) / SUPPORT

Personal Rights:  Breastfeeding:  AB 157 would authorize a mother to
breastfeed her child in any location where she and her child are otherwise
authorized to be present.

06/26/97:  Passed the State Senate, 28-5

Status:  Signed by Governor Wilson, Chapter 59, Statutes of 1997

[A2, S2] AB 257 (Villaraigosa) / SUPPORT

Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA):  AB 257 would add "sexual
orientation" to FEHA sections which prohibit discrimination based on race,
religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental
disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, and age.  It would repeal
the Labor Code provision (Sec. 1102.1) which prohibits employment
discrimination based on sexual orientation and place that protection under
FEHA.  Current housing protections are enforced through case law under the
Unruh Civil Rights Act.  AB 257 would merely codify this case law.

06/03/97:  Passed the State Assembly, 41-38

09/10/97:  Passed the State Senate, 22-18

Status:  Vetoed by Governor Wilson, 10/10/97

[A3, S3] AB 310 (Kuehl) / SUPPORT

Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA):  AB 310 would amend the FEHA to
include:  permitting courts to award expert witness fees to prevailing
parties; aligning FEHA with Title VII regarding the religious organizations
exemption from the law; providing reasonable accommodation for pregnant
employees; expanding coverage to protect contract workers against sexual
harassment; and, prohibiting genetic discrimination in employment.

06/03/97:  Passed the State Assembly, 41-37

09/09/97:  Failed in the State Senate, 19-17

Status:  Granted Reconsideration (Two-Year Bill)

[A4, S4] AB 424 (Baldwin) / OPPOSE

Postsecondary Education:  Armed Forces Training and Recruitment:  AB 424
would prohibit a California State University or Community College from
removing an armed forces training unit (ROTC) or recruiter from curriculum,
campus, or facility.  Some schools have attempted to remove ROTC programs
from their campuses because these programs bar openly gay or lesbian students
from participation.  Currently, federal law supersedes AB 424 intent and is
already forcing California schools to reinstate ROTC programs.  As such, this
bill would have no actual impact on California's schools.  The State Senate
amended the bill to prohibit discrimination  based on sexual orientation in
armed forces training units.  Staff still recommends an oppose position as
there is no enforcement mechanism for the nondiscrimination clause.

06/03/97:  Passed the State Assembly, 48-25

09/03/97:  Passed the State Senate, 24-3

Status:  Pending Assembly Concurrence Vote (Two-Year Bill)

[A5, S5] AB 1059 (Migden) / SUPPORT

Health Coverage:  Domestic Partners:  AB 1059 would require that health care
service plan (insurers, e.g., HIPC, Kaiser), in providing health benefit
coverage to employers and their employees, must also offer domestic partner
coverage if spousal coverage is offered.  This bill provides that this option
must be available as a choice to employer, but not a mandate.  It also
includes a mechanism by which domestic partners may register for coverage
purposes.

06/02/97:  Passed the State Assembly, 42-35

09/08/97:  Passed the State Senate, 21-17

Status:  Pending Assembly Concurrence Vote (Two-Year Bill)

HIV/HEALTHCARE POLICIES

[A6, S6] AB 29 (Villaraigosa) / SUPPORT

Terminally Ill Prisoners' Compassionate Release:  AB 29 would establish a
procedure for recalling a prisoner's sentence if the prisoner is found to be
terminally ill and would pose no threat to public safety.

05/29/97:  Passed the State Assembly, 56-16

09/12/97:  Passed the State Senate, 23-7

Status:  Signed by Governor Wilson, Chapter 751, Statutes of 1997

[A7, S7] AB 1099 (Migden) / SUPPORT

Medi-Cal:  Eligibility:  AB 1099 would exempt people living with AIDS from
paying "share-of-cost" requirement, if they decide to go back to work.
 Earnings of up to $2,500 per month would be exempted.

06/03/97:  Passed the State Assembly, 77-1

09/09/97:  Passed the State Senate, 28-8

Status:  Vetoed by Governor Wilson, 10/13/97

[A8, S8] SB 535 (Vasconcellos) / SUPPORT

Medical Marijuana Research Center:  SB 535 would authorize the University of
California to establish the Medical Marijuana Research Center to study the
efficacy of medical marijuana use.

06/04/97:  Passed the State Senate, 27-9

09/10/97:  Failed in the State Assembly, 48-21

Status:  Granted Reconsideration (Two-Year Bill)

[A9, S9] SB 1007 (Vasconcellos) / SUPPORT

Comprehensive Statewide Plan for Prevention & Treatment of HIV/AIDS:  SB
1007 would convene the Strategic Plan Task Force for HIV/AIDS treatment and
prevention into the 21st century, using community plans developed by the
Statewide Working Groups in both treatment and prevention, lending them
weight in the policy arena.

05/22/97:  Passed the State Senate, 29-6

09/05/97:  Passed the State Assembly, 48-26

Status:  Vetoed by Governor Wilson, 10/05/97

[A10, S10] SB 1035 (Polanco) / SUPPORT

Medi-Cal:  SB 1035 would set up a pilot project, when solicited by the
Health & Human Services Dept. or the Health Care Financing Administration, to
allow the state Department of Health Services to study the cost-effectiveness
of early intervention for patients with HIV who do not qualify for Medi-Cal
because they are not considered "disabled."

06/04/97:  Passed the State Senate, 26-10

09/09/97:  Passed the State Assembly, 48-27

Status:  Vetoed by Governor Wilson, 10/08/97

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------

CALIFORNIA STATE ASSEMBLY (80 Members:  43D, 37R)			
1997 - 1998 LEGISLATIVE SESSION VOTING RECORD - FIRST YEAR												

Compiled by LIFE:  California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender &
HIV/AIDS Lobby											

							Civil Rights Policy		HIV/Healthcare Policy	CR	HIV	Total

Member			Dstrct-Party	A1	A2	A3	A4	A5	A6	A7	A8	A9	A10	Sub	Sub	97 %

							S	S	S	O	S	S	S	S	S	S	50	50	100

ACKERMAN, Dick	72-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	-10	-10	-10	-50	-30	-80

AGUIAR, Fred		61-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	-10	10	10	-50	10	-40

ALBY, Barbara		5-R		-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	-10	-10	-10	-50	-10	-60

ALQUIST, Elaine		22-D	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

ARONER, Dion		14-D	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

ASHBURN, Roy		32-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-50	-30	-80

BACA, Joe			62-D	0	10	0	-10	0	10	10	0	10	10	0	40	40

BALDWIN, Steve		77-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	-10	-10	-10	-50	-10	-60

BATTIN, Jim			80-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	-10	10	10	-50	30	-20

BAUGH, Scott		67-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	0	-10	-10	-50	0	-50

BORDONARO, Tom	33-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	0	-10	-10	-50	0	-50

BOWEN, Debra		53-D	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

BOWLER, Larry		10-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	-10	-10	-10	-50	-10	-60

BREWER, Marilyn	70-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	10	10	10	-10	-30	30	0

BROWN, Valerie		7-D		10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

BUSTAMANTE, Cruz	31-D	0	10	10	-10	10	10	10	10	10	10	20	50	70

CALDERA, Louis		46-D	10	10	10	-10	10	10	10	n/a	n/a	n/a	30	20  50/70

CAMPBELL, Bill		71-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	-10	-10	-50	-10	-60

CARDENAS, Tony	39-D	10	10	10	0	10	10	10	10	10	10	40	50	90

CARDOZA, Dennis	26-D	-10	-10	10	-10	-10	-10	10	-10	10	10	-30	10	-20

CUNNEEN, Jim		24-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	0	10	10	10	10	-30	40	10

DAVIS, Susan		76-D	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

DUCHENY, Denise M.	79-D	10	10	10	0	10	10	10	10	10	10	40	50	90

ESCUTIA, Martha		50-D	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	0	50	40	90

FIGUEROA, Liz		20-D	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

FIRESTONE, Brooks	35-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	10	10	10	10	-30	50	20

FLOYD, Dick			55-D	10	10	10	0	10	0	10	10	0	0	40	20	60

FRUSETTA, Peter		28-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	-10	-10	-10	-50	-30	-80

GALLEGOS, Martin	57-D	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

GOLDSMITH, Jan		75-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	0	-10	10	-50	20	-30

GRANLUND, Brett	65-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	-10	-10	-10	-50	-10	-60

HAVICE, Sally		56-D	10	10	10	-10	10	10	10	10	10	10	30	50	80

HONDA, Mike		23-D	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

HOUSE,George		25-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	0	-10	-10	-50	0	-50

KALOOGIAN, Howard	74-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	-10	-10	-10	-50	-10	-60

KEELEY, Fred		27-D	10	10	10	0	10	10	10	10	10	10	40	50	90

KNOX, Wally		42-D	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

KUEHL, Sheila		41-D	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

KUYKENDALL, S.	54-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	10	10	10	10	-30	50	20

LEACH, Lynne		15-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	-10	-10	-10	-50	-30	-80

LEMPERT, Ted		21-D	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

LEONARD, Bill		63-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	0	-10	-10	-50	-20	-70

MACHADO, Mike		17-D	0	10	10	-10	0	10	10	0	10	10	10	40	50

MARGETT, Bob		59-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	0	10	-10	-10	-10	-50	-20	-70

MARTINEZ, Diane	49-D	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

MAZZONI, Kerry		6-D		10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

McCLINTOCK, Tom	38-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	-10	-10	-50	-30	-80

MIGDEN, Carole		13-D	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

MILLER, Gary		60-R	-10	-10	0	-10	-10	-10	10	-10	-10	-10	-40	-30	-70

MORRISSEY, Jim		69-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	0	-10	-10	-50	0	-50

MORROW, Bill		73-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	-10	-10	-50	-10	-60

MURRAY, Kevin		47-D	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

OLBERG, Keith		34-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	-10	-10	-10	-50	-30	-80

OLLER, Rico			4-R		-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	0	0	-10	-10	-50	-30	-80

ORTIZ, Deborah		9-D		10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

PACHECO, Rod		64-R	-10	0	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	-10	10	0	-40	0	-40

PAPAN, Lou			19-D	10	10	10	0	10	10	10	10	10	10	40	50	90

PERATA, Don		16-D	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

POOCHIGIAN, C.	29-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	0	10	-10	-10	-10	-50	-20	-70

PRENTER, Robert		30-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	-10	-10	10	-50	10	-40

PRINGLE, Curt		68-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	0	10	-50	20	-30

RICHTER, Bernie		3-R		-10	-10	-10	-10	0	10	10	10	0	0	-40	30	-10

RUNNER, George		36-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	10	-10	-10	-50	10	-40

SCOTT, Jack			44-D	10	10	10	10	10	0	10	10	10	10	50	40	90

SHELLEY, Kevin		12-D	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

STROM-MARTIN, V.	1-D		10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

SWEENEY, Michael	18-D	10	10	10	0	10	10	10	10	10	10	40	50	90

TAKASUGI, Nao		37-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	0	10	-10	-10	-10	-50	-20	-70

THOMPSON, Bruce	66-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	0	10	-10	0	-10	-50	-10	-60

THOMSON, Helen	8-D		10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

TORLAKSON, Tom	11-D	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

VILLARAIGOSA, A.	45-D	10	10	10	10	10	10	0	10	10	10	50	40	90

VINCENT, Edward	51-D	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

WASHINGTON, Carl	52-D	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	10	10	10	-50	50	0

WAYNE, Howard		78-D	0	10	10	-10	10	10	10	0	10	10	30	40	70

WILDMAN, Scott		43-D	0	10	10	-10	10	10	10	10	10	10	20	50	70

WOODS, Tom		2-R		-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	10	0	-10	-50	20	-30

WRIGHT, Roderick	48-D	10	10	10	0	10	10	10	10	10	10	40	50	90

*****************************************************************************
**

CALIFORNIA STATE SENATE (40 Members:  23D, 16R, 1Ind.)			
1997 - 1998 LEGISLATIVE SESSION VOTING RECORD - FIRST YEAR												

Compiled by:  LIFE:  California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender &
HIV/AIDS Lobby												

						Civil Rights Policy		HIV/Healthcare Policy	CR	HIV	Total

Member		Dstrct-Prty	S1	S2	S3	S4	S5	S6	S7	S8	S9	S10	Sub	Sub	'97 %

						S	S	S	O	S	S	S	S	S	S	50	50	100%

ALPERT, Deirdre	39-D	10	10	10	0	10	10	10	10	10	10	40	50	90

AYALA, Ruben	32-D	0	-10	-10	0	-10	10	10	0	10	0	-30	30	0

BRULTE, James	31-R	10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	-10	-30	-30	-60

BURTON, John	3-D		10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

CALDERON, Charles 30-D	10	10	0	-10	10	10	10	10	10	10	20	50	70

COSTA, Jim		16-D	10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	0	10	0	-30	30	0

CRAVEN, William	38-R	0	10	0	0	-10	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0

DILLS, Ralph		28-D	0	10	0	0	0	10	0	10	0	10	10	30	40

GREENE, Leroy	6-D		10	10	10	0	10	0	10	10	10	10	40	40	80

HAYDEN, Tom	23-D	10	10	10	-10	10	10	10	10	10	10	30	50	80

HAYNES, Raymond 36-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	-10	-10	-50	-30	-80

HUGHES, Teresa	25-D	10	10	10	10	10	0	10	10	10	10	50	40	90

HURTT, Rob		34-R	0	-10	-10	0	-10	0	-10	-10	0	-10	-30	-30	-60

JOHANNESSEN, M. 4-R	0	-10	-10	-10	-10	0	10	-10	-10	-10	-40	-20	-60

JOHNSON, Ross	35-R	0	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-40	-50	-90

JOHNSTON, Patrick 5-D	10	10	10	0	10	10	10	10	10	0	40	40	80

KARNETTE, Betty 27-D	10	10	10	0	10	10	10	0	10	10	40	40	80

KELLEY, David	37-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	-10	-10	-50	-10	-60

KNIGHT, Pete	17-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	-10	-10	-50	-30	-80

KOPP, Quentin	8-Ind.	10	10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	10	10	10	-10	50	40

LEE, Barbara		9-D		10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

LESLIE, Tim		1-R		10	-10	0	-10	-10	10	0	10	10	0	-20	30	10

LEWIS, John		33-R	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	-10	10	0	-10	-50	0	-50

LOCKYER, Bill	10-D	10	10	10	0	10	10	10	10	10	10	40	50	90

MADDY, Ken	14-R	10	-10	10	-10	0	0	0	10	10	0	0	20	20

McPHERSON, Bruce 15-R	10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	10	10	10	10	-10	50	40

MONTEITH, Dick	12-R	10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	-10	-30	-30	-60

MOUNTJOY, Richard 29-R	-10	-10	-10	0	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-10	-40	-50	-90

O'CONNELL, Jack 18-D	10	10	10	-10	10	-10	10	10	10	10	30	30	60

PEACE, Steve	40-D	10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	10	10	10	10	-10	50	40

POLANCO, Richard 29-D	10	10	10	0	10	10	10	10	10	10	40	50	90

RAINEY, Richard	7-R		10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	-10	10	10	-30	30	0

ROSENTHAL, Herschel 20-D 10	10	10	-10	10	10	10	10	10	10	30	50	80

SCHIFF, Adam	21-D	10	10	10	-10	10	10	10	-10	10	0	30	20	50

SHER, Byron		11-D	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	10	50	50	100

SOLIS, Hilda		24-D	10	10	10	0	10	10	10	10	10	10	40	50	90

THOMPSON, Mike 2-D	10	10	10	-10	10	10	10	10	10	10	30	50	80

VASCONCELLOS, John 13-D 0	10	10	0	10	10	10	10	10	10	30	50	80

WATSON, Diane	26-D	10	10	10	-10	10	10	10	10	0	0	30	30	60

WRIGHT, Cathie	19-R	10	-10	-10	-10	-10	10	10	10	10	-10	-30	30	0

KEY:
Party Affiliation:  D - Democrat, R - Republican, Ind - Independent
Position:  S - Support, O - Opposed

Prepared by Eric Astacaan, HIV/Healthcare Legislative Advocate/Research
Analyst

##############################################################################
#####

This message has been brought to you by LIFE:  California's Lesbian, Gay,
Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS Lobby.  LIFE has been lobbying on behalf
of California's lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and HIV-affected
communities since 1986.  Our organization is the oldest and largest
institution representing these communities in California's State Capitol and
is proud to celebrate over a decade of service.  If you would like further
information about LIFE's activities, events or membership, please contact our
office at:

LIFE:  California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender & HIV/AIDS Lobby &
Institute

1301 H Street

Sacramento, California  95814-1906

Phone:  916-444-0424	Fax:  916-444-3059

E-Mail:  [email-masked]	Website:  http://www.lifelobby.org