Subject: Anti-Gay Marriage Bills FAIL in California
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 23:17:26 -0400

For Immediate Release
Contact:   Laurie McBride or Ellen McCormick
LIFE: California's Lesbian/Gay and AIDS Lobby
916 444 0424     FAX 916 444 3059   
E-mail:  Laurie:  [email-masked]
E-mail:  Ellen:    [email-masked]

ANTI-GAY MARRIAGE BILLS DIE AT SESSION'S END

Sacramento, CA:  The 1995-1996 session of the California legislature closed
without the passage of an anti-gay marriage bill despite the unrelenting
efforts of conservative Republicans.  Three bills attempted to block
recognition of same-gender marriage in California:  AB 1982 and AB 3227, both
by Assemblymember Pete Knight (R - Palmdale) and SB 2075 by Senator Haynes (R
- Riverside).

"We dodged the bullets this time," said Laurie McBride, Executive Director of
LIFE, California's Lesbian/Gay and AIDS Lobby.  "Three bills and every trick
in the book -- it was an exhausting battle."

Declaring victory this year doesn't mean it's over though, McBride warned.
 Next year will see a return of anti-gay marriage bills in California.

"We couldn't have done it without the help of community leaders and the grass
roots efforts of everyone who wrote, called, faxed, e-mailed and lobbied
their legislators," added Ellen McCormick, LIFE's Legislative Advocate.  "Now
we have an opportunity to begin organizing for next year."
 
McBride concluded with a request, "If you have one more letter in you, please
write legislators who stood with us and thank them -- Especially
Assemblymembers Kuehl and Migden, Assembly Minority Leader Richard Katz, and
Senate Pro Tem Bill Lockyer."

Analysts said that the community's success next year against anti-gay
marriage bills will be determined by the outcome of California Assembly and
Senate races in the election this November.  Without a strong showing by the
gay and lesbian community, as well as other progressive communities, the 1997
legislature will likely pass such bills.