Subject: MUST READ : LA TIMES ; Mary Cheney and other gay and lesbian kids of Republican leaders
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 17:31:50 EDT

Sexuality and Family in the Political Spotlight

By BETTIJANE LEVINE, Times Staff Writer

      When Sen. Barry Goldwater, dubbed "Mr. Conservative," learned that his 
grandson and grandniece were gay, he worked for new laws that would protect 
their civil rights. When Newt Gingrich became speaker of the House, and his 
lesbian half-sister, Candace, became a gay activist, he took a more 
neutralstance. "It's a free country," he told the press. State Sen. William 
"Pete" Knight has been estranged from his son since learning four years ago 
he is gay. 

    And now, Dick and Lynne Cheney are faced with their decision, how to 
handle in public what is essentially a private matter: the sexual 
orientation of their daughter, Mary.

[Deleted article.  [email-masked]]

     * Lynn Smith contributed to this story.

     * Bettijane Levine and Lynn Smith can be reached at 
[email-masked].

Copyright 2000 Los Angeles Times