From: [email-masked]
Date: 11 Jul 95 16:29:00 -0700

The Institute of Gay and Lesbian Education will sponsor several events
  during the summer of 1995.  All events require advance registration.
  For more information or to register for an event, or to receive a catalog
  for the Summer and Fall programs, call IGLE at (310)652-1786 or e-mail at
  [email-masked].

   The events are described in detail below.

 Historical Tour of Lesbian Los Angeles      July 15
 Camp-Out: Welcome to Camp IGLE              July 22-23
 Kathleen Battle at the Hollywood Bowl       August 8
 An Evening of Jazz and Art                  September 8
 Exploring the Lesbian and Gay Past          September 10

  HISTORICAL TOUR OF LESBIAN LOS ANGELES

  Travel in cozy air-conditioned comfort as we meander through the
  diversity of L.A.'s lesbian herstory.  We will visit several sites
  which were significant in recent Lesbian herstory in Los Angeles, and
  our tour guide Yolanda Retter will answer the "who, what, when and
  where" .  We'll discuss the "why" enroute.  Many questions will be
  answered, including: where and what was the longest lasting lesbian
  project in L.A.?  Where did Lesbians of Color L.A. meet?  Where was
  the First National Lesbian Kiss-In held?  Is D.O.B.'s center still
  standing?  See many of the neighborhoods of L.A., get a sense of
  Lesbian history in L.A., and spend a Saturday with like-minded people.
    Our guide Yolanda has been a participant in Lesbian L.A. since 1971.
   Van capacity is limited to 14 time travellers.

  Saturday, July 15    10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
  There will be a lunch break; bring or buy your lunch.
  FEE: $35, includes van rental.

                   ******************************************

  WELCOME TO CAMP IGLE

  Let's get out of the summer haze and smog and go camping in the
  beautiful
  Angeles Crest National Forest.  Trees, nature walks, astronomy
  lectures and lots of time for fun, rest and relaxation are in store.
  You supply the tent, meals and gear; we'll host a Saturday late
  afternoon mixer and provide guest lecturers.

  Friday July 21 through Sunday July 23
  FEE: $25, Enrollment limited to 30

                    ***********************************

  KATHLEEN BATTLE AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL

  Join IGLE for an evening of operatic music at the Bowl, including a
  pre-concert lecture and picnic dinner.  Delight in the ravishing voice
  of Kathleen Battle-- "she makes moonbeams audible, almost tactile....
  The instrument is perfectly focused, amazingly pure, startlingly
  clear" (Los Angeles Times). The program includes music by Mozart,
  Rachmaninoff, and Stravinsky.  Our favorite opera queen and UCLA
  professor John Hall will give a lecture on the program (and the dish
  on Kathleen before the concert. We'll meet at the Hollywood Bowl
  picnic grounds.  You bring your picnic, or buy it at the Bowl.

  Tuesday, August 8, 6:30pm for dinner lecture, 8:30pm show
  Fee: $20  Enrollment limited to 20.

                      ***********************************

  AN EVENING OF JAZZ AND ART

  Come join IGLE for a special late summer evening at the County Museum
  of Art. Begin the evening with an open-to-the public jazz performance,
  followed by a specially arranged curator's tour of the contemporary
  collection, led by Howard N. Fox.  (Mr. Fox is Curator of Contemporary
  Art at the museum.)

  Friday September 8  Jazz Begins at 5:30pm, curator's tour at 6:30pm
  FEE: $10 , Enrollment limited to 20 persons

                       **********************************

  EXPLORING THE LESBIAN AND GAY PAST

  Are you curious about the lesbian and gay past and how history gets
  written?  How can we learn about the past?  This one-day workshop
  introduces students to the methods historians use in learning about
  our history.  Documents such as photographs, newspaper articles,
  speeches, buttons, interviews, pulp fiction, advice books and letters
  all provide clues to the past experiences of gays and lesbians - this
  workshops looks at all of these and more.  We will discuss strategies
  for doing research into the lesbian and gay past, then groups of
  participants will try them out using historical documents.  This
  workshop is not only for budding historians; it is also designed for
  those curious about the lives of gays and lesbians in days gone by.
  Led by David Bianco, IGLE's historian.

  Sunday,  September 10    10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
  There will be a 1 hour lunch break.
  Fee $45.