Subject: G/L Victory Fund hasn't endorsed Ammiano for SF mayor
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 16:22:32 EST

November 11, 1999

Brain Bond
Executive director
Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund
Washington, DC 
(This letter faxed to 202-289-3863)

RE: Lack of endorsement for Tom Ammiano

Dear Mr. Bond:

We are preparing the December issue of Magnus and we gathering as much data 
as possible about Supervisor Tom Ammiano's grassroots campaign as a gay 
candidate for Mayor of San Francisco,  <A 
HREF="http://www.ammiano4mayor.com/">Ammiano For Mayor</A> .  

As part of this effort, we paid a visit to the Victory Fund's web site 
www.victoryfund.org, <A 
HREF="http://www.victoryfund.org/templates/victoryfund/index.html">Victory 
Fund</A>  and read your November 3 press release about the fall 1999 gay 
candidates running for various offices.  It seemed odd the release omitted 
any reference to Ammiano's write-in effort, especially since your group 
endorsed Ammiano twice before, first in 1994 and then again in 1998.  Of 
course, the results of the San Francisco election weren't known until at 
least a day after your release went out, nevertheless, we are puzzled you 
didn't see fit to include a single sentence to the then undecided race here 
and the strong likelihood Ammiano would make the run-off, which he did.

Since the final count was announced from last week's election and Ammiano 
indeed is challenging Mayor Willie Brown,  <A 
HREF="http://www.reelectwilliebrown.com/default_macNS.html">Reelect Mayor 
Willie Brown, Jr.</A> , surely it would behoove you to issue a release about 
Ammiano's feat.  But no such release is on your web site.

No information was available on the site about whether or not the Victory 
Fund 
endorsed Ammiano for the general election.  Furthermore, nothing was posted 
regarding an endorsement of Ammiano in the run-off.  How is it your 
organization 
apparently chose not to back Ammiano for the November race, and as of today, 
has not said if Ammiano will receive assistance from the Victory Fund?  Is 
the group considering endorsing Ammiano for the December 14 run-off?

If the Victory Fund does select Ammiano to bless, will you encourage gays and 
lesbians to send a donation to Tom Ammiano for Mayor, 125 Upper Terrace, San 
Francisco, CA 94117?  

Will you also inform potential Ammiano donors across the country that no 
check is 
too small, but that folks can't contribute more than $250 to the campaign?

The philosophy of your organization is to be "the only national organization 
who sole mission is to increase the number of outstanding openly gay and 
lesbian public officials."  A noble endeavor.  Can you explain to Magnus 
readers why none of that mission has reached Ammiano for his mayoral bid?

The deadline for the December issue of Magnus is November 15.  We ask that 
you 
submit an 800 word essay spelling out the Victory Fund's endorsement of 
Ammiano, or lack thereof.  We will print your column so San Francisco voters 
can weigh the Victory Fund's position on Ammiano's mayoral candidacy.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Michael Petrelis
Co-Editor

Magnus
2215-R Market Street
PMB 496
SF, CA 94114
Phone: 415-252-6405
Email: [email-masked]
Web: www.magnusnews.com
 <A HREF="http://www.magnusnews.com/">Magnus - Gay and Lesbian News, Opinions 
and C...</A>