Subject: IYF-More Transviolence in CA
From: "Clare Howell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 07:29:00 -0700

MEDIA ADVISORY - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Editor: Clare Howell, [email-masked]

Contact: Gwendolyn Ann Smith, [email-masked]

MORE TRANSVIOLENCE IN CALIFORNIA
=================================

[San Francisco, CA: 28 Jul 99] A TRANSGENDER WOMAN
was assaulted, hit in the head with a bottle, in San Francisco
less than a week after another transwoman was hospitalized after
an assault in West Hollywood.

   On Wednesday, 21 Jul 99, at approximately 1:45 a.m., three
transwomen were verbally harassed as they left the 'El Tin Tin'
bar on 16th St. in San Francisco. A bottle was thrown at the trio
and struck one in the head. The wound required eleven stitches.

    The San Francisco Examiner identified the victim as Saul
Contreas and identified all three individuals as transgendered
even though only male pronouns were used in reference to the
victim.

    At this time, no suspects have been identified by police.

ANOTHER WEST HOLLYWOOD ATTACK
------------------------------------------------------------

    At noon on Friday, 23 Jul 99, at the corner of Santa Monica
and Orange, near West Hollywood, two transgender women were
attacked with knives and bricks by an unspecified number of
attackers. This assault mirrors the 'baseball bat' attack of
18 Jul 99 in West Hollywood.

    The victims fled to the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center's Jeff
Griffith Youth Center where the attackers pursued them and threw
bricks through the windows of the Center. The Center's staff and
security sheltered the victims and called police.

    The unnamed victims were treated at a nearby hospital for
cuts. The suspects were taken into police custody.

                        ###

Subscriptions. Please contact:
[email-masked]

For prior releases, check the
GenderPAC website at:
http://www.gpac.org

(c) 1999 InYourFace
GenderPAC's independent online
news-only service for gender
activism.

The opinions expressed are
not necessarily those of
GenderPAC's Board, Officers,
or membership.