Subject: IYF-Hollywood Hate Crime
From: "Clare Howell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 07:26:38 -0700

MEDIA ADVISORY - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Editor: Clare Howell, [email-masked]

Contact: Shirley Bushnell, [email-masked]
               Transgender Menace Southern California

HOLLYWOOD HATE CRIME
======================

[West Hollywood, CA: 21 Jul 99] WEST HOLLYWOOD SHERIFF'S
deputies observed what they thought was a big fight in a restaurant
parking lot at 4 a.m. Sunday, 18 Jul 99. When they investigated, they
found two men attacking a group of transgender women with base-
ball bats. The men continued their assault even as deputies
approached.

    The men were heard hurling epithets like "fag," "Are you faggots
or real women?," among others, at the victims as they pummeled them. A third
attacker fled before he could be apprehended.

    One of the victims was struck more than a dozen times and
required emergency room care at Cedars Sinai Hospital. Two
Hispanic men were arrested and charged with attempted murder
and involvement in a hate crime. The third suspect was arrested
later. Bail was set for the three at $500,000. Names of the victims
were not available.

STOP THE VIOLENCE RALLY PLANNED
-----------------------------------------------------------

    A rally to protest violence against transgender people will be
held at 6 p.m. on Saturday 24 Jul 99 at the Metropolitan Community
Church, 8714 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood. For more
information, contact Rev. Nancy Wilson (310) 854-9110 or
Shirley Bushnell (see contact infomation above).

                    ###

Subscriptions. Please contact:
[email-masked]

For prior releases, check the
GenderPAC website at:
http://www.gpac.org

(c) 1999 InYourFace
GenderPAC's independent online
news-only service for gender
activism.

The opinions expressed are
not necessarily those of
GenderPAC's Board, Officers,
or membership