Subject: UCSF alleges gay gonorrhea is up, no hard data presented
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:27:26 EDT

August 30, 1999

Rebecca Nowlis (Email: [email-masked])
UC San Francisco
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies (CAPS)
74 New Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94105

Dear Ms. Nowlis,

In your August 26 news release headlined "Unprotected Anal Sex Increasing in San 
Francisco," University of California researcher Maria Eckstrand, PhD, alleges 
that unsafe sexual relations between gay males in on the upswing.

The release claimed, "Although rates of new HIV infection in San Francisco have 
remained stable at two percent among 19 to 29 year-old gay men, the 
researchers worry that an increase in risky sexual behavior will result in 
higher rates of HIV infection.  Already, several US cities have reported an 
increase in rectal gonorrhea, including San Francisco."  Sadly, no evidence 
to back up the allegation of increased gay gonorrhea in San Francisco was 
forthcoming in the release.

However, the July 1999 monthly sexually transmitted disease report from the 
SF health department's STD control branch documents the following statistics. 
 For July 1999 only 14 cases of male rectal gonorrhea were recorded.  During 
July 1998 just 15 similar cases were reported.  A decrease of one person.

The number of male rectal cases of gonorrhea for the year to date column for 
1999 shows 93 cases.  The year to date figure at the same time in 1998?  It 
was also 93 cases.

Seems to me the monthly number ever so slightly declined, while the year to 
date figure remains steady.  I fail to see any higher rates of male rectal 
gonorrhea here.  Why then does your news release claim otherwise?  What 
scientific evidence can you provide me proving your claims about male rectal 
gonorrhea rates allegedly are on the increase?

Should you wish to view the SF STD monthly report I am referring to, please 
visit the SF health department's web site, http://www.dph.sf.ca.us.

I would appreciate hearing from you about this urgent matter by the end of business 
today.  Please don't hesitate to call me at 415-621-6267, if you have any 
questions about my request for your definitive data on this matter.

Sincerely,
Michael Petrelis