Subject: SF Chronicle letter against POZ's promotion of barebacking
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 16:51:41 EST

Letters to the editor
SF Chronicle
February 7, 1999

RUSSIAN ROULETTE 

Editor -- Your cover story, ``Russian Roulette Sex Parties,'' is not at 
all surprising. I have lived here since 1978. San Francisco residents 
have been running ``pay for sex house parties'' for years. What is 
surprising is the attitude about sex the younger generation of gays 
harbors. 

This new ``outlook'' is tenaciously expressed by author Michael Scarce. 
``Embracing the prospect of becoming infected'' and ``giving the gift'' 
are nothing short of sociological denial. It is Mr. Scarce who proclaims 
that unsafe sex is considered ``hotter sex.'' Does Mr. Scarce lack an 
imagination? POZ magazine editor Walter Armstrong states, ``We wanted to 
provoke people. We're willing to take the heat for that.'' Is Mr. 
Armstrong willing to take responsibility for millions more infected 
people? 

I am ashamed to consider these people part of my gay community. We are 
facing a new surge in infections, and health costs aren't the only 
concern. It is the ugly face of mass death rising in our community and 
the world again. Please, I do not want to go through all of that horror 
again. Education does not seem to work with this so called ``fringe 
element.'' Let us not forget. It only started with a few cases in the 
late 1970s. History repeats itself. This is a terrible thing to say, but 
these proponents of unsafe sex and Mr. Scarce will soon be just 
that . . . scarce. 

MARTY HOGAN 
San Francisco