Subject: SF AIDS Office/Ryan White programs to be audited
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 20:31:48 EST

[The following proposal is from Tom Calvanese, an HIV positive co-chair of the
SF CARE Council.--MP]

SAN FRANCISCO HIV HEALTH SERVICES PLANNING COUNCIL
Open Solicitation for Proposals to Conduct 
1999 Grantee Assessment

The San Francisco HIV Health Services Planning Council is making available up
to $50,000 to conduct an assessment of the designated grantee for CARE Act
Title I funds dispersed by the Health Resources and Services Administration of
the Federal Department of Health and Human Services to the San Francisco
Eligible Metropolitan Area (EMA).  The Chief Elected Official of the San
Francisco Eligible Metropolitan Area, the Mayor of San Francisco, has
designated the San Francisco Department of Public Health as the grantee for
the Ryan White CARE Act funds.  The grantee is responsible for administration
of the CARE Act funds according to the priorities set by the San Francisco HIV
Health Service Planning Council.  

The CARE Act specifies one of the responsibilities of the Planning Council as
follows: `…assess the efficiency of the administrative mechanism in rapidly
allocating the funds to the areas of greatest need within the eligible area,
and assess the effectiveness of the services offered in meeting identified
needs.'  See attached scope of work for details.  

Bidders may propose to provide any or all components, as outlined in the scope
of work.  Joint proposals are encouraged.  Interested bidders should submit a
letter of intent by March 5, 1999, with final proposals due by March 26, 1999.
Respondents should submit ten (10) copies of final proposals.  The Council's
Grantee Assessment Task Force will recommend Contractors to the Steering
Committee on April 12, and the Steering Committee will make the final
selection at its April 12th meeting.  The contractor will begin work on April
15, 1999, after completion of negotiation of an acceptable Memorandum of
Understanding.  Letters of intent and proposals should be submitted to:
	
      SF HIV Health Services Planning Council
	Grantee Assessment Task Force
	c/o SF DPH AIDS Office
	25 Van Ness Ave., 5th Floor
	San Francisco, CA   94102
	Att'n: Eric Sorensen

	FAX: (Letters of Intent only) 415-431-7547

Please call Tom Calvanese at 415-431-7476, or 415-621-7712; 
or Allen Meyer at 415-292-0335, ext: 35, for questions or additional
information.

SAN FRANCISCO HIV HEALTH SERVICES PLANNING COUNCIL
1999 GRANTEE ASSESSMENT

Overview:
The HIV Health Services Planning Council is required by the Ryan White CARE
Act to `assess the efficiency of the administrative mechanism in rapidly
allocating the funds to the areas of greatest need within the eligible area
and , at the discretion of the planning council, assess the effectiveness of
the services offered in meeting the identified needs.'  The Council has not
performed such an assessment before and is seeking to contract with an
independent evaluator to perform this assessment. The funds to conduct this
assessment will be drawn either from the funds used to administer the CARE
grant or from the Planning Council Support Budget.  The Council has formed a
Grantee Assessment Task Force to oversee the process. The Council is
interested in quantitative and qualitative data, as well as recommendations
for improvement of the grantee's functions.   The Council is seeking bids from
organizations which can demonstrate experience in fiscal and operational
auditing, organizational analysis, and formulation of recommendations for
improvement.  A knowledge of the Planning Council and Department of Public
Health, as well as the functioning of the CARE funded AIDS services delivery
system is also desirable.  To the extent possible, the Council is also
interested in creating employment opportunities for people living with
HIV/AIDS through this initiative.

Goals: 	
1. To evaluate the current structure and function of the San Francisco
Department of Public Health HIV Health Services Division, and to determine its
effectiveness in carrying out its responsibility to rapidly disburse the funds
to the areas of greatest need within the eligible area, and make
recommendations for improvement in structure and function. 

2. To evaluate and analyze the current structure and functioning of the
accounting unit of the HIV Health Services Division, and to determine its
effectiveness in carrying out its responsibility to rapidly disburse the funds
to the areas of greatest need within the eligible area, and make
recommendations for improvement in structure and function.  

3. To evaluate and analyze the current structure and functioning of the
contracts unit of the HIV Health Services Division, and to determine its
effectiveness in carrying out its responsibility to rapidly disburse the funds
to the areas of greatest need within the eligible area, and make
recommendations for improvement in structure and function. 

4. To evaluate and analyze the current structure and function of the program
management component of the HIV Health Services Division, and to determine its
effectiveness in carrying out its responsibility to rapidly disburse the funds
to the areas of greatest need in the eligible area, as well as assessing the
effectiveness of the services offered in meeting the identified needs, and
make recommendations for improvement in structure and function.

5. To evaluate and analyze the current structure and function of the personnel
management component of the HIV Health Services Division, and to determine its
effectiveness in carrying out its responsibility to support the rapid
disbursement of the funds to areas of greatest need in the eligible area, and
make recommendations for improvement in structure and function.

6. To compile the results of these analyses, and to formulate recommendations
for improvement in the structure and function of the grantee (administrative
mechanism), in order to improve the grantee's ability to rapidly disburse the
funds to the areas of greatest need within the eligible area, and the
effectiveness of the services offered in meeting the identified needs, and to
report these findings and recommendations to the Grantee Assessment Task
Force, and to the Council.

7. To provide employment opportunities for people living with HIV/AIDS within
the scope of work outlined below.

Funds Available:
  $30,000 - $50,000 through either grantee administrative funds, or Planning
Council Support budget.

Selection of Contractor(s):
 The Grantee Assessment Task Force (GATF) will be responsible for review of
proposals and a recommendation to the Steering Committee for final selection
of contractor(s), and contract negotiations with chosen contractor(s).
 
 The GATF will use the following selection criteria:
  Experience in proposed area of scope of work, 10 points.
  Plan for conducting analysis of organizational structure, 15 points.
  Plan for conducting financial audit, 15 points.
  Plan for conducting analysis of contracts unit, 15 points.
  Plan for conducting analysis of program management and monitoring, 15
points.
  Plan for conducting analysis of personnel policies and practices, 15 points.
  Plan for recruiting and hiring people living with HIV, 10 points.
  Budget, 5 points.
							Total, 100 points

Scope of Work
1. Project Management and Analysis
	Task: Coordination and oversight of the initiatives outlined below,
comprehensive analysis of results and presentation to Council on or before
July 26, 1999 (draft report to the GATF at its June meeting).

2. Analysis of Organizational Structure: 
Task: A comprehensive analysis of the organizational structure and function of
the San Francisco Department of Public Health HIV Health Services Division,
and the formulation of recommendations for improvements in structure and
function.   

Questions: 
  What is the current structure of the San Francisco Department of Public
Health HIV Health Services Division, and what is the rationale for this
structure?   
  Where within this structure are decisions made concerning the disbursement
of CARE funds, and what is the rationale for this decision making process? 
  How does this structure support the accurate interpretation of the
priorities set by the HIV Health Services Planning Council? 
  How does the creation and management of HIV Health Services contracts
compare to the creation and management of Department of Public Health
Memoranda of Understanding (MOU) with its own Health Services Divisions to
provide HIV Health Services?  Is there a difference? If so, what is the
rationale for this difference?

Methods: The information concerning these questions will be made available
from the San Francisco Department of Public Health administration.
Information concerning the Council's priorities is currently available, and
analysis of this information may include interviews with Planning Council
members. Analysis of the grantee's interpretation of these priorities may
include interviews with employees of the grantee, as well as analysis of the
grantee's implementation plan.  To the extent possible, people living with
HIV/AIDS should be provided employment opportunities.

Scope: The grantee receives 5% of the San Francisco EMA's  Title I CARE funds
annually to administer the funds.  For fiscal year 1998 - 1999, the CARE grant
was $36,394,914, and the administrative budget was $1,819,746.  These funds
provided support for 45 staff positions (28.75 Full Time Equivalent) within
the SF Department of Public Health HIV Health Services Division, and pay for
staff travel, equipment, materials and supplies.

Experience needed: Experience in conducting organizational and functional
analysis of management and decision making structures, analysis of results,
formulation of recommendations for improvements to management structure and
function, and presentation of recommendations in usable format required.
Familiarity with HIV Health Services and government contracting is preferred. 

Resources: The Administrative staff of the AIDS Office will provide
information as needed. The Grantee Assessment Task Force (GATF) will provide
input on the research methods and assist with communication between the
Assessor and the HIV Health Services Division.  If Planning Council Support
funds are used, fiscal management will be provided through the Planning
Council Support Contract with the Support Center for Nonprofit Management.

Timeline: A draft report will be delivered to the Grantee Assessment Task
Force at its June meeting, with a final report to the Council on or before
July 26, 1999. The information will be used to improve the functioning of the
administrative mechanism responsible for disbursing Title I funds in future
fiscal years.  

Other issues: The consultant is expected to work closely with the Grantee
Assessment Task Force (GATF), a task force composed of members of the HIV
Health Service Planning Council, which is overseeing the grantee assessment
process.  Interviewers and other staff hired for this project should be people
living with HIV/AIDS to the greatest extent possible. Data and information
gathered will remain the property of the HIV Health Services Planning Council.
This analysis is one component of the grantee assessment being conducted by
the Council.

3. Accounting Audit:
Task: Conduct an audit of the accounting function of the HIV Health Service
Division to determine the rate and accuracy of reimbursement procedures.   A
comprehensive analysis of the structure and function of the Accounting Unit,
and the formulation of recommendations for improvements in structure and
function.   

Questions:
  To what extent are CARE funds being rapidly disbursed to the areas of
greatest need?
  Are CARE funds being used as the funding of last resort?

Methods: Audit current accounting and reimbursement procedures to determine
the rate of reimbursement, and the accuracy of accounting for CARE funds, as
well as the extent to which CARE funds are being used as the funding of last
resort.  

Scope: See above

Experience needed: Experience in conducting financial audits, especially of
federal grant funds, including analysis of results , formulation of
recommendations, and presentation of results and recommendations in a usable
format. Familiarity with HIV Health Services and government contracting is
preferred. 

Resources: See above
Timeline: See above
Other Issues: See Above

4. Analysis of Contracts Unit:
Task: A comprehensive analysis of the organizational structure and function of
the San Francisco Department of Public Health HIV Health Services Division's
Contracts Unit, and the formulation of recommendations for improvements in
structure and function.   

Questions: 
  What is the current structure of the HIV Health Services Division of the San
Francisco Department of Public Health HIV Health Services Division, and the
process for contracting for HIV Health Services?  What is the rationale for
this structure and process?   
  To what extent does this structure and process support the rapid
disbursement of CARE funds to the areas of greatest need within the eligible
area? 
  How does the Contracts Unit support the accurate interpretation of the
priorities set by the HIV Health Services Planning Council? 
  What is the process for ensuring that CARE funds are used as the funding of
last resort? 

Methods: The information concerning these questions will be made available
from the San Francisco Department of Public Health administration.
Information concerning the Council's priorities is currently available, and
analysis of this information may include interviews with Planning Council
members. Analysis of the grantee's interpretation of these priorities may
include interviews with employees of the grantee, as well as analysis of the
grantee's implementation plan.  To the extent possible, people living with
HIV/AIDS should be provided employment opportunities.

Scope: See above

Experience needed: Experience in conducting structural and functional analysis
of contracting processes, analysis of results, formulation of recommendations
for improvements to contracting processes, and presentation of recommendations
in usable format required.  Familiarity with government contracting processes
required.  Familiarity with HIV Health Services is preferred. 

Resources: See above
Timeline: See above
Other issues: See above

5. Analysis of Program Management and Monitoring Process:

Task: A comprehensive analysis of the organizational structure and function of
the San Francisco Department of Public Health HIV Health Services Division's
Program Management and Monitoring, and the formulation of recommendations for
improvements in structure and function.   

Questions: 
  What is the current structure of the HIV Health Services Division of the San
Francisco Department of Public Health HIV Health Services Division, and the
process for managing and monitoring HIV Health Services programs?  What is the
rationale for this structure and process?   
  To what extent does this structure and process support the rapid
disbursement of CARE funds to the areas of greatest need within the eligible
area, and the effectiveness of the services offered in meeting the needs
identified by the Planning Council? 
  How does Program Management Staff support the accurate interpretation of the
priorities set by the HIV Health Services Planning Council? 
  What is the process for determining which programs are monitored? What is
the rationale for this process?  How effective is this process in identifying
programs in need of further attention, including technical assistance.  What
is the process for providing technical assistance, and what types of
assistance are available?

Methods: The information concerning these questions will be made available
from the San Francisco Department of Public Health administration.
Information concerning the Council's priorities is currently available, and
analysis of this information may include interviews with Planning Council
members. Analysis of the grantee's interpretation of these priorities may
include interviews with employees of the grantee, as well as analysis of the
grantee's implementation plan.  To the extent possible, people living with
HIV/AIDS should be provided employment opportunities.

Scope: The grantee receives 5% of the SF EMA's Title I CARE funds annually to
administer the funds.  For fiscal year 1998 - 1999, the CARE grant was
$36,394,914, and the administrative budget was $1,819,746.  These funds
provided support for 45 staff positions (28.75 Full Time Equivalent) within
the SF Department of Public Health HIV Health Services Division, and pay for
staff travel, equipment, materials and supplies.  There are currently 5 staff
positions charged with programmatic oversight and monitoring of CARE funded
services.

Experience needed: Experience in conducting organizational and functional
analysis of programmatic oversight, evaluation and monitoring, analysis of
results, formulation of recommendations for improvements to oversight and
monitoring processes, and presentation of recommendations in usable format
required.  Familiarity with HIV Health Services is preferred. 

Resources: See above
Timeline: See above
Other issues: See above

6.   Analysis of Personnel Policies and Practices:
Task: A comprehensive analysis of the structure and function of the San
Francisco Department of Public Health HIV Health Services Division's Personnel
Management, and the formulation of recommendations for improvements in
structure and function.   

Questions: 
  What is the current structure of the HIV Health Services Division of the San
Francisco Department of Public Health HIV Health Services Division's Personnel
Staff, and the process for coordinating grantee related personnel issues?
What is the rationale for this structure and process?   
  To what extent does this structure and process support the rapid
disbursement of CARE funds to the areas of greatest need within the eligible
area? 
  What is the process for hiring of grantee personnel?  What is the rationale
for this process?  How effective is this process in rapidly filling vacant
staff positions?

Methods: The information concerning these questions will be made available
from the San Francisco Department of Public Health administration.
Information concerning the Council's priorities is currently available, and
analysis of this information may include interviews with Planning Council
members. Analysis of the grantee's interpretation of these priorities may
include interviews with employees of the grantee, as well as analysis of the
grantee's implementation plan.  To the extent possible, people living with
HIV/AIDS should be provided employment opportunities.

Scope: The grantee receives 5% of the CARE funds annually to administer the
funds.  For fiscal year 1998 - 1999, the CARE grant was $36,394,914, and the
administrative budget was $1,819,746.  These funds provided support for 45
staff positions (28.75 Full 
Time Equivalent) within the SF Department of Public Health HIV Health Services
Division, and pay for staff travel, equipment, materials and supplies.  There
are currently 3 staff positions charged with personnel coordination,
classification and hiring of CARE Title I funded positions, and processing
grantee payroll and benefits.

Experience needed: Experience in conducting structural and functional analysis
of personnel policies and procedures, analysis of results, formulation of
recommendations for improvements, and presentation of recommendations in
usable format required.  Familiarity with civil service personnel policies and
procedures is preferred. 

Resources: See above
Timeline: See above
Other issues: See above

TIMELINE:
       ACTIVITY			            	DATE

Solicitation Available			February 12, 1999

Letter of Intent Requested by		March 5, 1999

Proposals Due					March 26, 1999

Review of Applications			March 29-31, 1999 

Recommendation to Steering 
Committee & Final Selection		April 12, 1999

Negotiation of Agreement		April 12-15, 1999

Begin Assessment				April 15, 1999