Subject: BAR political editor donates to Brown, ethics questioned
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 16:08:25 EST

Cynthia Laird
Bay Area Reporter
395 Ninth Street
San Francisco, CA 94103

November 8, 1999

RE: Full disclosure rules for BAR political editor

Dear Ms. Laird,

I was pleased to read in the BAR recently about the paper's commitment to 
uphold 
the First Amendment and practice fair, balanced journalism.  The criticism 
leveled 
against your paper after it ran an ad from religious right wingers trying to 
convert 
homosexuals into heterosexuals and your cogent reply showed maturity and 
honest 
discourse still present in the San Francisco gay community.

I write to ask about the BAR's policies regarding full disclosure rules for 
the 
political editor Wayne Friday.  Every week the BAR masthead lists Friday as 
the 
political editor and he writes a political gossip column.  However, after 
reading his 
front page article on November 4 about the San Francisco elections, 
particularly 
the mayoral race, I wondered why certain facts about Friday's political 
affiliations 
to Mayor Willie Brown were censored from the piece.

Not once in the story did Friday disclose the following pertinent facts.

1.  Mayor Brown appointed Friday earlier this year to the Police Commission.

2.  On June 26 Friday donated $100 to the Alice B. Toklas Gay and Lesbian 
Democratic Club, which has endorsed Brown for mayor.

3.  Friday contributed $500 to Brown's reelection campaign on July 21.

4.  Friday formally endorsed Brown's second run for mayor.

5.  The Lavender Campaign for Brown mailed out a slick color brochure asking 
gays to vote for Brown.  Friday's name is on the list of endorsers and his 
photo is 
prominently featured in the pamphlet.

I believe these five facts present a challenge to you as the editor of the 
BAR and 
its readers.  Is there an ethical reason why this information was not 
included either 
in the body of Friday's story, or in an explanation accompanying the article?

What exactly are the journalistic ethics of the BAR when it comes to allowing 
the 
political editor to endorse candidates, donate to them, accept important 
positions 
on civic bodies, and permit his name and image to be used in promotional 
materials?

I look forward to a rapid reply from you.  Please feel free to run this 
letter in the 
BAR.

Michael Petrelis
Magnus Editor

Phone: 415-252-6405
Email: [email-masked]