Subject: AIDS prevention group calls for ad boycott of B.A.R.
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 16:45:16 EST

[Dear friends,
I found this release at www.aggressive.org, a site you should check out.  I do
not agree with much of what the release states, but I do endorse their
criticism of the B.A.R. and its owner Bob Ross.  Ross operates the B.A.R. like
it is his own Pravda, and one need not be a Kremlinologist to decipher the
propaganda of the news coverage in it.  
Or, consider what isn't written about in the B.A.R.  While many other gay
newspapers, not to mention the A.P. wire stories picked up the NY Times, have
covered gays groups speaking out against the death penalty in the Shepard
case, the B.A.R. hasn't because editorial decisonmakers there are pro-death
penalty.  Just one example out of many showing editorial biases at the B.A.R.
--MP]  

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 
Contact Information:
Devin KORDT, Founding Director & President
[email-masked] 
415.255.6022 

HIV/AIDS Prevention Organization Asks Advertisers to "JUST PULL OUT"
"AD-COTT" Launched Against Bay Area Reporter Newspaper/Benro Enterprises

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - March 1st,1999 - In an initiative to highlight 
media's role in HIV/AIDS prevention, the Bay Area Reporter (BAR) 
newspaper produced by Benro Enterprises has been identified by 
Aggressive AIDS Prevention, Inc. as contributing to a climate of 
increased HIV infection in the San Francisco area.

Aggressive AIDS Prevention, Inc. writes BAR's advertisers this week to 
draw attention to the paper's graphic personal classified ads which 
promote behaviors that are considered high-risk for contracting HIV/AIDS 
and other sexually transmitted diseases.

The advertisers are asked whether they want their advertising dollars to 
support such ads.

The initiative comes as a result of unsuccessful meetings held last 
November in which AAP, Inc., supported by the Department of Health and 
twelve other AIDS service organization leaders, tried to facilitate a 
dialog in which some form of educational advisory on HIV/AIDS prevention 
basics could be run to balance the high risk ads.

BAR strongly refused

"Our readers already know this - this is old news" claims Mike Salinas, 
Editor of BAR referring to the proposed HIV/AIDS/STD educational 
advisory. "We don't provide free ad space," he added. Publisher Bob Ross 
added: "We are not interested in your activities (AAP's) and won't run 
anything unless you pay!"

"When it was clarified that we were not requesting free ad space but 
rather responsible publishing practices that serve the community, we 
were shown the door." says Devin Kordt, AAP, Inc.'s President.

New generations entering sexual maturity have not had the benefit of 
past HIV/AIDS prevention media campaigns in the Eighties and need this 
critical information to navigate the epidemic. BAR fails to see the 
correlation between promoting unsafe behaviors and the continued spread 
of HIV. About 25% of all people now living with HIV became infected when 
they were teenagers.

The current advertisers are composed of church leaders, medical 
professionals, accountants, lawyers, restaurant owners, and other 
community members offering their services. "I am sure that many will be 
surprised by BAR's activities and present lack of responsibility, Kordt 
offers. The ads we quoted were too graphic to include in a press release 
and yet are available in unmoderated news racks across the city."

With recent ordinances placed upon alcohol and tobacco advertising, a 
move toward corporate self-monitorence in other public health issues 
seems imminent. Advertising sells, and currently the BAR is selling 
high-risk behavior for HIV/AIDS infection.

"I feel that San Franciscans, having been hit so hard by the HIV/AIDS 
epidemic, expect more responsibility from local corporations - certainly 
one that bills its self as "serving the gay & lesbian community", and I 
am confident that the advertisers will lend their support" says Kordt.

With San Francisco projected to have 500 new HIV infections in 1999, a 
constant educational advisory is expected to serve as a significant tool 
that can play a part in reinforcing healthy and responsible behaviors 
and thereby lower the forecasted projections.

The Ad-Cott calls for a suspension of advertising with the BAR until 
they come to the table and work out an acceptable advisory to balance 
the high-risk ads. 

Aggressive AIDS Prevention is a nonprofit corporation dedicated to 
raising awareness of HIV/AIDS, encouraging HIV antibody testing, and 
promoting HIV Negative maintenance through Media. 

>end<