Subject: Young, Loud & Proud Leadership Conference
From: FRAK357 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 17:29:33 EDT

Young, Loud & Proud
A Sponsored Prodject of LYRIC

LYRIC (Lavender Youth and Infromation Center), is an independent non-profit
organization that provides a safe and supportive environment for queer youth
and empowers LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning),
young people to take leadership roles within LYRIC and their respective
communities. It promoted the development of positive self-identity and the
decrease of self-destructive behaviors among at-risk youth. It provides
recreational, educational, and leadership development opportunities. 

Young, Loud & Proud
     Is a national conference designed by and for LGBTQ people 25 and under
and our allies. YLP is a peer-driven program and is open to all youth 25 and
under. YLP encourages participation from women, youth under 18, people of
color, and young people living outside of San Francisco .

When & Where
     July 10-12, 1998 in San Francisco. A three-day conference, which takes
place usally two weeks after San Francisco Pride. This year's location will be
held at Mission High School in San Francisco. 

What
     YLP is a space that consists of workshops, caucuses, speakers, and
entertainment on various topics like "Starting a Gay/Straight Alliance, " "HIV
and AIDS," "Homelessness and LGBTQ youth" and "Comming Out". There is no
registration fees, and breakfast and lunch are provided.  

History
     This marks the third year of Young, Loud & Proud. Last year's YLP
conference drew together around 500 youth from more than 8 states. Our efforts
were covered in both the San Francisco Chronicle and the Examiner, and other
local papers. YLP featured over seventy workshops and caucuses ranging from
Spirituality to Activism, a dance on saturday night, and a nationally
recognized speakers on both days. More than 20 organizations formed a resource
fair, and housing was provided at Youth Hostels and private homes. 

Structure & Organization
     The decision making process is organized into a Steering Committee and
Sub-Committees. The Steering Committee oversees all of the subcommittees,
which plan all content, media, outreach, fundraising, and logistic decisions.
Only members who is 25 or under can make decisions on the planning of the
conference. Members over 25 can only advise. The liaison between the Steering
Committee and LYRIC is hired in April every year as a part-time basis for 4
months. 

All Youth 25 And Under Are Invited To Attend
     If you or anyone you know would like to attend this conference and/or
would like more infromation on the conference please call 415.703.6150 x25, or
Email the Outreach Co-coordinator Frank Lippman Jr. at [email-masked]. I
would be glade to send any infromation you would like to know, and posters and
flyers if you or your organization would like to advertise to the LGBTQ youth
in your area. Hope to hear from you soon. 

Frank Lippman Jr.
YLP Outreach Co-Coordinator