Subject: Straight Teamster Pal of Milk's to Dump Coors in Sewer
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 17:01:27 EST

CALIFORNIA COORS BOYCOTT COMMITTEE

For Immediate Release                           
November 13, 1998                                 
Contacts: Tommi Avicolli Mecca: 415-552-6031 
                      Michael Petrelis:  415-621-6267

                   STRAIGHT TEAMSTER PAL OF HARVEY MILK'S 

            TO DUMP COORS BEER DOWN CASTRO STREET SEWER;

             Gays Affirm Coors Boycott Continues in Honor of Slain Leader

San Francisco, CA - A retired Teamster official, Allan Baird, who happens to
be straight and was friends with Harvey Milk, will join gay activists at a
news conference and Coors dumping to declare their ongoing participation in
the boycott of the conservative brewery.  Before Milk was assassinated twenty
years ago this month, he joined with Baird to have Coors removed from all gay
establishment because of the anti-gay and anti-union practices of the beer
company and Coors family members.

Not a single gay bar in San Francisco serves Coors, primarily out of respect
for Milk's legacy, secondarily because Coors still donates a substantial sum
of money to rightwing groups and politicians.

Regrettably, the media watchdog organization GLAAD, Gay & Lesbian Alliance
Against Defamation, last month accepted $110,000 from Coors without properly
researching the conservative company's contributions to homophobic forces.

                        WHAT:    Coors dumping

                        WHEN:    Monday, November 16

                          TIME:     12 noon

                       WHERE:    Harvey's Bar, 500 Castro Street, at 18th
Street

Baird and gay activists will pour bottles of Coors down the sewer in front of
a bar named after the city's first gay elected official.  The activists want
to remind the gay community of Milk's role in the boycott, which is still in
effect, and to demand GLAAD return the $110,000 grant from Coors.  Baird will
also reminisce about his friend.

"Harvey created a coalition with heterosexual Teamsters to cut the flow of gay
dollars to Coors, which passes profits along to rightwing extremists," said
Baird from his home in the Castro neighborhood.  "If Harvey were alive today
he'd do everything to convince GLAAD, and all gay community groups and
publications to refuse Coors' conservative money.  I urge all gays and
lesbians to drink Milk, not Coors."

                                                      -30-