Subject: Hets control documents of SF queer comm. center?
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 19:29:33 EDT

[The following was distributed at the September 16 public meeting of the CCP
board.--mp]

September 13, 1998

SF Examiner
110 Fifth Street
San Francisco, CA 94103

To the editor:
	Several comments from members of the board of directors for the proposed gay 
Community Center Project in your September 9 story about new architectural
designs for the center concern me.
	First, one board member is quoted saying, "Our research shows that what's
lacking here is a focal point for our community."  That may be true, but I
would like to examine the data because this board has often cited it, but they
have not made the research available for public inspection in the past.  If
the board has reversed its decision, I would like to know where and when I can
look at the research.
	This same person further states San Francisco gays need "a place to meet
people other than a bar."  Yes, we do, and we already possess hundreds of
religious, cultural, sexual, political, scholastic and social institutions in
which we create personal relationships and community.  It ill serves the
center to intimate we only have bars and little else to meet our needs.
	Another board member alleged "many gay men and lesbians here were isolated or
might not be comfortable in the Castro . . . [a]ny queer person in San
Francisco feels the community is fragmented, divided, pitted against itself."
Those are incredibly negative sweeping generalizations to make and could be
accurate, but where is the evidence to buttress such assertions?
	I can think of two recent occasions when those statements were true.  One,
last autumn when this board wanted to demolish the Queen Anne Victorian an
entirely new organization sprang up to oppose the board's decision to destroy
the Fallon Building.
	Second, two years ago the center planners accepted a donation from the Coors 
Brewery, blithely unaware of deep concern in the gay community over the beer
company's strong financial support of homophobic think tanks and politicians.
The donation touched off such a polarizing controversy within the community
that the center board had to return the money.  Neither example shows a
unifying agenda at work.
	San Francisco may indeed need and get a community center, but those
responsible for creating it should be more honest about the vast array of
existing institutions, including the bars, and also be able to back up claims
of community isolationism and fragmentation.
	That would be a very optimistic development for our community.

Sincerely,
Michael Petrelis
cc:  Community Center Board

------------------------------------------------------
CCP [Community Center Project] Memorandum

DATE:  September 23, 1998

TO:  Michael Petrelis

FROM:  Angus Whyte [Office Manager for CCP]

RE:  CCP early  building plans

Having enquired about why transcripts of focus groups [about the creation of
an SF queer community center] are with the SF AIDS Foundation, I was told that
it was the SF AIDS Foundation which created and managed that particular study.

Rene Durazzo may or may not be willing to release those transcripts.  You may
ask him if he's willing to release them, but any release would be at his
discretion.

Meanwhile, as requested, enclosed please find copies of December 1996 plans
for the CCP building which resulted from focus group information collected and
compiled by Regina Davis and Ann Cervantes at that time.

Thanks.

------------------------------------
Angus Whyte
c/o Community Center Project
1748 Market Street, 2nd floor
San Francisco, CA 94102

September 25, 1998

Thank you for your September 23, 1998, memorandum and copy of plans for CCP.
I have several follow up questions to pose after reading the materials.

First, why are the transcripts in the possession of a heterosexual person?  It
strikes me as odd that the board of CCP placed important queer documents
exclusively in the hands of a heterosexual at an AIDS agency notorious for
erecting barriers between the queer community and its executives and board.

Second, is it possible to have a copy of the transcripts immediately stored,
and available for public inspection, at the queer operated Gay and Lesbian
Historical Society of Northern California?  While CCP has its reasons for
giving the transcripts and control of them to heterosexuals, I fail to see any
legitimate purpose which prevents CCP and SFAF from quickly donating a full
copy to the historical society.

Third, why is CCP apparently violating the state's Ralph M. Brown Act?  As you
may know, CCP falls under the purview of this "open meetings/open records"
law, which states the following in regards to documents like the transcripts.

"Section 54957.5.  Agendas and other writings distributed for discussion or
consideration at public meetings; public records; inspections; closed
sessions. 

"(a) Notwithstanding  Section 6255 or any other provisions of law, agendas of
public 
meetings and any other writings, when distributed to all, or a majority of
all, of the 
members of a legislative body of a local agency [CCP] by any person in
connection with a matter subject to discussion or consideration at a public
meeting of the body, are public records under the California Public Records
Act (Chapter 3.5 (commencing with Section 6250) of Division 7 of Title 1), and
shall be made available upon request without delay."

I strongly suggest CCP meet the letter and spirit of the Brown Act and that
CCP 
reconsider its policy regarding all documents pertaining to the creation of a
queer 
community center in San Francisco.

I respectfully request a rapid reply.  If you have any questions, please don't
hesitate
to call me.

Sincerely,
Michael Petrelis
2215-R Market Street, #413
San Francisco, CA 94114
Phone: 415-621-6267