Subject: Seeking AmeriCorpsVISTA Volunteers
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 15:45:56 -0500 (EST)

Immediate Opening for 4
AmeriCorpsVISTA Volunteers
In Los Angeles!

Help Your Community, Get Paid $727/month,
and Receive a $4,725 Educational Award or $1,200 allotment!

WANTED: 2 SCHOOL ANTI-VIOLENCE OUTREACH VOLUNTEERS

	The Anti-Violence Project at the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center is looking for 2
persons with proven ability to work with youth to undertake an exciting
two-year outreach campaign aimed at getting safety information, support and
other services to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered adolescents who
are targets of anti-gay violence.  The 2 will work as part of the federal
AmeriCorpsVISTA program.  The most recent estimates are that 80% of gay,
lesbian, bisexual and transgendered youth face some sort of verbal or
physical abuse in school--often daily.  Too often, the damage done by this
abuse is magnified by the lack of support available to these students.
	The 2 VISTA volunteers will help create and implement an innovative program
to provide outreach, support and other services to bias violence targets.
 Services will also be offered through the privacy of a toll-free hotline
number and through the Internet.
	If you are interested, please call the Anti-Violence Project Director,
Sharen Shaw-Johnson, at 213.993.7676.

WANTED: 2 VOLUNTEERS TO HELP QUEER &
HIV/AIDS-IMPACTED IMMIGRANTS

	With Los Angeles County being home to one-fifth of the nation's immigrant
population and three lesbian and gay-concentrated urban centers--Long Beach,
Los Angeles, and West Hollywood, the immigration legal needs of lesbians, gay
men, transgendered persons, and persons living with HIV/AIDS are a major
priority for the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center.
	Our Immigration Law Project has been working to serve an ever-growing number
of clients.  In 1996, the Project served more than 520 mostly no- and
low-income clients, a 5-fold+ increase since the Project's establishment in
1993.  As more queer and HIV/AIDS-impacted immigrants react to fears driven
by the current anti-immigrant campaign, the need for additional and better
immigration legal services will intensify.
	We are looking for 2 persons motivated about working on behalf of queer and
HIV/AIDS-impacted immigrants.  Through the AmeriCorpsVISTA volunteer program,
the Immigration Law Project will 1) develop and launch an intensive
immigration and naturalization education and problem-prevention campaign
focused on the needs and concerns of the queer and HIV/AIDS-impacted
communities, and 2) develop and implement a self-sustaining system to enhance
the quantity, quality, and depth of our volunteer base.
	If you want to join the Immigration Law Project as a VISTA volunteer, please
contact Jeff Kim, the Immigration Law Project Coordinator, at 213.993.7674.