Subject: CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS - URGENT ACTION ALERT!
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 20:12:21 -0400 (EDT)

PLEASE POST/DISTRIBUTE!

L.A GAY & LESBIAN CENTER

URGENT ACTION ALERT!
California Legislations

Our sincerest appreciation to all of you who have been responding to the
various action alerts we have sent out.  Your letters, e-mails, and phone
calls had a great impact in getting most of the legislations through the
various committees as well as defeating a few anti-gay ones.  Below you will
find the latest legislative update.

Marriage: The two bills introduced this year, Senate Bill (SB) 911 and Assembl
y Bill (AB) 800, failed to pass out of their respective Judiciary Committees.
 These bills would have prohibited California from recognizing same-gender
marriages performed legally from other states, in anticipation of the pending
Hawai'i case.

In other matters, the following bills will be voted on by the full California
State Assembly in the next two weeks.  Please send LETTERS OF SUPPORT to your
Assemblymember.

Adoption: AB 53, introduced by Assemblymember Kevin Murray, would allow
unmarried couples, including gay and lesbian couples, to adopt children.

Domestic Partnership:    AB 54, introduced by Assemblymember Kevin Murray,
would create a statewide domestic partnership registry and would provide
hospital visitation, conservatorship and inheritance rights.

Equal Protection in Public Schools/Colleges/Universities:   AB 101,
introduced by Assemblymember Sheila Kuehl, would prohibit discrimination
based on sexual orientation in public schools, community colleges, CSU and UC
system.

Employment and Housing Nondiscrimination:    AB 257, introduced by
Assemblymember Antonio Villaraigosa, would prohibit discrimination based on
sexual orientation in employment and housing accommodations.

Domestic Partnership Health Care Benefits:  AB 1059, introduced by
Assemblymember Carole Migden, would require health care insurers, i.e., HIPC,
to offer employers purchasing group insurance, coverage for domestic partners
at the same price as for married couples.

Short, personal handwritten letters should be sent to:

The Honorable (Your Assemblymember's Name   )
California State Assembly
Sacramento, CA  95814
     
To find out your assemblymember, please call your local county clerk's office
or visit the Assembly's Internet website at http://ais.assembly.ca.gov.  If
possible, please send us a copy of your letter.

Thank you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------

L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center
Policy & Public Affairs Dept.
406 McDonald/Wright Bldg.
1625 N. Schrader Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA  90028-6213
Phone:  213-860-7350
Fax:  213-860-7369
E-Mail:  [email-masked]