Subject: URGENT ACTION ALERT: SUPPORT AB 257
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 19:43:25 -0400 (EDT)

PLEASE POST/DISTRIBUTE EVERYWHERE!

URGENT ACTION ALERT!!!
July 10, 1997

SUPPORT AB 257!

Assembly Bill 257, which would amend the Fair
Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) to include sexual
orientation within the unlawful bases for discrimination
in employment and housing accommodations,
is scheduled for a hearing in the
Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday, July 15th.

Please send/fax letters of support
or call the following committee members
and urge them to vote YES on AB 257!

Senator John Burton (San Francisco)          Senator Charles Calderon
(Montebello)
California State Senate                              California State Senate
Sacramento, CA  95814                             Sacramento, CA  95814
Phone:  916/445-1412                                Phone:  916/327-8315
Fax:  916/327-7229                                    Fax:  Will not disclose
No E-Mail                                                E-Mail:
 [email-masked]

Senator Jack O'Connell (Santa Barbara)      Senator Cathie Wright (Simi
Valley)
California State Senate                              California State Senate
Sacramento, CA  95814                             Sacramento, CA  95814
Phone:  916/445-5405                                Phone:  916/445-8873
Fax:  916/322-3304                                    Fax:  916/324-7544
E-Mail:  [email-masked]   E-Mail:
 [email-masked]

Short, personal handwritten letters are the most effective.
(Please see sample letter below.)

If you have any questions, please call (213) 860-7350.
(Please send us a copy of your letter.)

A Project of the the:

L.A. GAY & LESBIAN CENTER
POLICY & PUBLIC AFFAIRS DEPT.
406 McDonald/Wright Bldg.
1625 N. Schrader Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA  90028-6213
P:  213/860-7350; F:  213/860-7369;  TDD:  213/993-7698
E-Mail:  [email-masked]; Website:  http://www.gay-lesbian-center.org

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------

SAMPLE LETTER FORMAT
(Sample Only!  Please Use Your Own Words.)

July ____, 1997

The Honorable (Senator's Name)
California State Senate
Sacramento, California  95814

     RE:  SUPPORT ASSEMBLY BILL 257

Dear Senator __________________________:

I am writing to urge your full support of AB 257, by Assemblymember Antonio
Villaraigosa.  This bill would amend the Fair Employment and Housing Act
(FEHA) to
include "sexual orientation" within the unlawful bases for discrimination in
employment and housing accommodations.

Passing this bill would ensure that all Californians, regardless of their
sexual
orientation, are treated fairly and equally under the law.  It would simplify
the process
in which both employment and housing discriminations based on sexual
orientation are
investigated and acted upon by the Department of Fair Employment and Housing
(DFHE).  Currently, employment discrimination complaints are handled by the
Department of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE) while housing discrimination
complaints under the Unruh Civil Rights Act, are handled by the DFHE.

Additionally, complaints under the Labor Code, must be filed within 30 days,
a
relatively short time as opposed to one year under FEHA.  It also makes it
easier for
a person who experienced multiple forms of discrimination, e.g., race, sex or
sexual
orientation, to file all complaints with the DFHE, instead of two different
offices (DFHE
& DLSE).

The inclusion of sexual orientation within FEHA simply strengthens the
state's civil
rights laws.  Above all, AB 257 merely furthers the goal of equal opportunity
for all
Californians.

I strongly urge you to vote "aye" on AB 257.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

YOUR SIGNATURE
PRINT YOUR NAME
HOME OR BUSINESS ADDRESS  (Be sure to include an address)