Subject: CA: AB 1059 passes first Senate Committee!
From: Ellen McCormick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 18:35:35

July 2, 1997

Contacts:		Ellen McCormick, Legislative Advocate
		Laurie McBride, Executive Director
		Sam Catalano, Legislative Assistant 
LIFE: California's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS 
Lobby

AB 1059 PASSES SENATE INSURANCE COMMITTEE

Short and sweet: AB 1059, Assembly Member Carole Migden's measure to 
require health care service plans to offer the option of domestic 
partner health care coverage to California's small employers, passed 
the Senate Committee on Insurance today.

At the end of the hearing the vote was 5 - 2, with two absent members 
not voting.  Members voting for the bill were Senator Teresa Hughes, 
Senator Adam Schiff, Senator Byron Sher, Senator Patrick Johnston, and 
Committee Chairman: Senator Herschel Rosenthal - all deserve many 
thanks!

This bill moves next to the Senate Appropriations Committee - stay 
turned for an upcoming action alert to write letters on AB 1059 for 
this committee.  

Thanks to everyone who lobbied so successfully on this bill!

This message was brought to you by LIFE: California's Lesbian, Gay, 
Bisexual, Transgender and HIV/AIDS Lobby.  If you would like further 
information on LIFE, please go to our web page at <www.lifelobby.com>, 
write back to this message, or call us at (916) 444-0424.