Subject: SF Stop AIDS Project: Condoms FINALLY available in gay bars
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 10:35:47 -0500 (EST)

PRESS RELEASE	

For Immediate Release:					Contacts:  415.621.7177
Friday, November 7, 1997					Steven Gibson, x.258
											Robert A. Pérez, x.236

 C O N D O M S   N O W ! !  

STOP AIDS Distributes Over 150,000 Condom in First 6 Weeks of New Program;
Gay & Bi Men Are Snatching Them Up Left & Right at Their Favorite Bars &
Clubs

San Francisco -- In just six weeks, the STOP AIDS Project has successfully
distributed over 150,000 condoms to 71 bars, clubs and retail stores as a
part of its new program to offer free condoms year round to gay and bisexual
men.  Gay and bi men are eagerly helping themselves to the free condoms. The
new program represents one of the most successful collaborations to date
between businesses and a community based organization.  

"It's refreshing to see that there are 71 businesses in San Francisco that
are demonstrating a true commitment to keeping their customers safe," stated
Steven Gibson, a Community Organizer with the STOP AIDS Project.  "The
participating businesses recognize that it not only makes good business
sense, but that it's the right thing to do for the community that they
serve."

Added Gibson, "It's also exciting to see that the condoms are not staying in
their containers, but are making it into the hands, pockets and bedrooms of
gay and bi men in San Francisco."

Condoms began being distributed the week before this year's Folsom Street
Fair.  During the first distribution cycle, STOP AIDS gave out 81,504 condoms
to businesses.  With huge numbers of men flooding bars, dance clubs and
retail stores during the Folsom and Castro Street Fairs, gay and bi men were
snatching up the free condoms at a rapid pace.  STOP AIDS staff and
volunteers hit the streets before the Halloween weekend rush to deliver
another 82,515 condoms, bringing the total to 156,528.

In October of last year, community activists and newspaper editors began
demanding a year-round free condom distribution program targeted at gay and
bisexual men when it was discovered that free condoms weren't widely
available in bars during the Folsom Street Fair.  The Board of Supervisors,
led by Supervisors Leslie Katz, Tom Ammiano and Susan Leal, quickly followed
suit calling for such a program.  Based on three years of success by STOP
AIDS at mobilizing businesses through its Neighborhood Mobilization Program,
the AIDS Office responded by rewarding STOP AIDS with $150,000 in grant money
with the goal of distributing over 1 million condoms over one year's time.
 In a tribute to the community activism that fostered its creation, STOP AIDS
named the new program "condoms now!".

Michael Petrelis, one of the community activists who led the effort to get
condoms into the bars, applauded the success of the program and called for
its continued funding.  

"I hope the AIDS Office will permanently fund this necessary project.  I
applaud the collaboration between the STOP AIDS Project and the bar owners.
 Condoms in the bars remind all of us that sex is good and that the AIDS
crisis is not over," said Michael Petrelis, a member of ACT UP Golden Gate.  
 
-30-

 What People Are Saying About
condoms now!
	
"Our customers have said it best:  'It's about time!'.  Hurray for STOP
AIDS!"

Tyler Saur
Kimo's, in the Polk 

"The condom distribution program represents an outstanding achievement for
San Francisco.  The STOP AIDS Project has implemented a program through which
free condoms can effectively be distributed to a large number of gay and
bisexual men.  This effort has built a partnership with businesses that is a
model for community based prevention efforts in San Francisco and across the
country.  I applaud their success and will continue to strongly support this
type of community-based effort." 

Leslie Katz, Member
Board of Supervisors
City and County of San Francisco

"The condom distribution program is long overdue, and is a step in the right
diretion to combat AIDS in San Francisco.  We are addressing the problem
where we can make an impact, that is, in the bars."

Susan Leal, Treasurer-Elect 
City and County of San Francisco

"We need to have fun, but we need to have smart fun.  I think that people
should not hesitate to take more than one.  These condoms are there for them
and they shouldn't be shy about it.  I find myself giving them to my
customers. I want them to be smart out there.  Life is too short and things
have changed.  We need to take care of ourselves and each other."

Paula Madness, Bartender
The Café, in the Castro

"Having free condoms in our bar sends a very clear message to our customers
that we're concerned about their health and about stopping AIDS." 

Gerry Olson, General
Lone Star Saloon, in SOMA

"The condom program is excellent and our customers are very happy.  They feel
more secure.  They know that they can really take someone home and be safe.
 And, they don't have to be embarrassed about buying condoms in stores."

Manuel Quijano, Owner
Esta Noche, in the Mission

•••••

The STOP AIDS Project is a community-based HIV prevention program by and for
positive and negative gay and bisexual men of all ages and colors.  The
Project, established in 1984, remains true to its founding mission - to
develop and implement a community organizing project for self-identified gay
and bisexual men in San Francisco which seeks to reduce HIV-transmission and
lessen the adverse effects of the HIV epidemic on the community.  STOP AIDS
continues to serve as a pioneer and model for HIV-prevention activities
nationally and worldwide.