Subject: SF AIDS walk suffers decline of walkers
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 17:22:37 -0400 (EDT)

(in my estimation, the SFAF is spending $911,000, almost 1 million dollars;
$95,000 on an LA producer's fee, and $816,000, for expenses [?], so san
franciscans can stroll around golden gate park. perhaps there is a decline in
walkers because of the high expenses and salaries at the SFAF.--MP)

AIDS Walk sign-ups down
by Cynthia Laird, Bay Area Reporter, June 26

The belief among many people that the epidemic is slowing has led to
decreasing numbers of AIDS Walk participants this year. San Francisco is no
exception, but staff at the SF AIDS Foundation (SFAF) say they hope more
walkers will register for the Sunday, July 20 event that will raise funds for
37 Bay Area agencies, either by signing up in advance or at the event itself.

"This is the most generous AIDS Walk in the country of all the walks, and is
the most cost effective of all fundraisers," said spokesman Timothy
Rodrigues.

This year's 11th annual even takes place in Golden GAte Park. There is a
suggested minimum pledge of $50 - $75, which walkers can raise from their
friends and supporters, or just give it themselves as an outright donation.
Additionally, Jeff Lucio-Brock of SFAF pointed out that many companies that
sponsor teams of walkers are responsible for a good portion of money raised.

Last year's event brought in a total of $3.4 million, Rodrigues. Of that,
approximately $1.4 million went to SFAF programs and services, $1 million was
disbursed to other agencies, and $816,000 went for expenses.

This year, Lucio-Brock said that approximately 76 cents of every dollar
raised will go directly to HIV/AIDS services. SFAF absorbs all fundraising
costs, including the $95,000 production fee that is paid to [LA-based]
Miller, Zeichik and Associates.

The production fee is paid in installments, and will be the same whether more
or less money is raised than last year, which Rodrigues said is another good
reason for people to participate.

The benefiting AIDS service orginizations were selected by the Tides
Foundation. An application for AIDS Walk funds focused on services that would
address the most current trends of the epidemic. A community review panel
selected the agencies. An esitmated 23,000 people participated in AIDS Walk
San Francisco last year.
>>>end<<<