Subject: ACTION ALERT: California
From: James Yorton <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 11:44:53 -0500 (CDT)

[ Moderator Note:  Calls SUPPORTING gay, lesbian, and bisexual youth
 and their support groups are needed.  Use the telephone number below. ]

[ submitted by:  [email-masked] ]

Hi all,

I just got a call for help from a teacher at Southwestern High in the
Central Union School District in El Centro, CA.  A local church (Calvary
Chapel) has begun an all out attack on the newly formed (1st meeting held
yesterday) of a student support group.  They have already been in contact
with Salt Lake City & have already contacted board members & the school
administration.  I don't have many details--the fire alarm at the school
went off as I was talking with the group's advisor--but will be talking
with her this weekend.  If any of you live or know someone in the Imperial
County area, please ask them to find some way to support the group.  The
phone number at the school is (619) 353-0168.

I learned of this from someone in Monterey who had lived in El Centro.  His
understanding is that about 24 students attended the meeting--most who are
not G/L/B.  I don't know if the teacher has email but will let you all know
more on Monday after I talk with her.

I'm in San Diego but there seems to be little in the way of support groups
out there in the desert--no PFLAG, no GLSTN, no L/G/B Center.  So San Diego
is closest & I'll do everything I can.  I'm so glad for this list & all of
your contacts!!!