Subject: Fwd: AB 1982
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 12:25:02 -0500

***********************************************************

AN OPEN LETTER ON AB 1982

To: All Members of the California Assembly
From: Patricia Nell Warren, a citizen

Dear Assembly Member:

I am a writer and  former Reader's Digest editor who settled in California in
1981  and now lives in Los Angeles.  As a columnist, I have written for L.A.
Times and other major publications.  I also serve on the Gay & Lesbian
Education of the L.A. Unified School District. 

 It shocks me that, when California is staggering under huge problems --
unemployment, joblessness for youth, failure of small business, people
leaving the state, environmental decay, racial violence in our schools -- so
many legislators  are devoting so much time and energy to passing  this
ridiculous and hurtful bill.  That so many of you are scrambling around  to
"protect" something that does not need "protecting" -- namely heterosexual
marriage.

To those of you who oppose this bill -- my heartfelt thanks for your fight to
preserve sanity and a sound direction in California lawmaking.   I know that
you see this bill in perspective with other problems in this state.   I have
talked and corresponded with some of you.

TO THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE SUPPORTING AB 1982 -- If you had  devoted the same
amount of energy, time, and money  to improving education,  or  dealing with
domestic violence and racism, California would be a better place to live and
work.   As it is, you are obsessively concerned with overprotecting so-called
"Christian morality" and shoving it down the throats of a pluralistic
citizenry.    If heterosexual marriage is to remain attractive to anybody,
including heterosexuals, it does not need to be ringed around with bands of
legislative "Christian moral"  iron.    AMERICAN FAMILIES ARE NOT FAILING
BECAUSE OF A LACK OF MORALITY.  They are failing because of crushing economic
and social pressures.  As a woman who fled heterosexual marriage after 13
years of abusive masculine traditional religious attitude, I can testify to
that.  Passage of AB 1982 will make a few preachers and demagogues feel good,
but it will do NOTHING  to shore up the institution of marriage, nor protect
women and children, nor restore dignity to fathers.  

Indeed, AB 1982  will do nothing to "protect" society against the existence
of homosexuals, because we have existed and endured  for countless centuries,
and even found dignified, honest and lasting relationships in spite of
everything that the so-called "moralists"  did  to get rid of us.

AB 1982 is also a legal can of worms that will affect other areas of
California's relationship with other states.   When all the legal costs come
home to roost, I pray that the offices of AB 1982 supporters  will be billed
directly, because otherwise it is the long-suffering and increasingly angry
taxpayer who will pay.  

PLEASE DEFEAT AB 1982.  

As a voter, I watch to see which legislators care about the REAL  problems
facing California citizens today.   These are the only legislators I will
vote for.

Sincerely yours,

Patricia Nell Warren
Wildcat Press
8306 Wilshire Blvd. Box 8306
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

213/936-3666
213/933-0999 FAX