Subject: AB 1982: ROUND TWO, THIS WEEK !!
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 23:24:24 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JANUARY 29, 1996

From:  LIFE: California's Lesbian/Gay & AIDS Lobby
Contact:	Laurie McBride
	Ellen McCormick
	916  444 0424
	[email-masked]	

ACTION ALERT

AB 1982  (Knight)
Sec. 308.  	A marriage contracted outside this state between
		individuals of the same gender is not valid in this state.

AB 1982 is up for a vote by the California State Assembly THIS WEEK.  
Letters are needed TODAY.  

Write your Assemblymember.  Or call.  Fax.  E-mail.  Let them know you oppose
this bill.  It doesn't matter if they are conservative or liberal. 

Our legislature need to hear from all of us, from every district in the
state.

Within the next few weeks AB 1982 will go to its first Senate Policy
Committee.  Start now, with a letter to your State Senator, and a copy to:
 
Senator Bill Lockyer
Senate Pro Tem			
State Capitol
Sacramento, CA 95814

Some talking points:
 > We are families, some with children and some without.  ALL families
deserve legal
     recognition, and legal protection.
>  We should be able to decide who we want to marry, not the State.
>  California currently recognizes all marriages legally performed elsewhere.
 That 
    includes marriages not available in this state, such as common law
marriages, 
    marriages with minors and marriages with relatives.
>  Marriage law should never be based on prejudice, as it was against all
peoples of
    color until just a few decades ago.  Marriage is about the commitment
between two
    people.  The law has no business in interfering with our ability to take
legal
    responsibility for each other.

Activate your friends, co-workers and family.  Organize letter writing
parties, fax zaps, and phone trees.  Don't let up!

E-mail  lmcagaylob.aol.com  and subscribe to our Marriage Action Alert list!
 Be in the loop, and then pass the info on!

*******************************************************************************
To send a message to the entire list "marriage", email [email-masked]

To unsubscribe, send a message 'unsubscribe marriage' to [email-masked].
To subscribe, send a message 'subscribe marriage' to [email-masked].
*******************************************************************************