Subject: L.A. Freedom to Marry Coalition: Letter Writing Campaign/Volunteer Meeting
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 13:18:17 -0400

FROM:  Eric Astacaan, Public Policy Associate
            Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Center
            Phone:  (213) 860-7353
            E-Mail:  [email-masked]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MAY 13, 1996

VOLUNTEER ORIENTATION MEETING FOR THE
L.A. FREEDOM TO MARRY COALITION; LETTER WRITING
CAMPAIGN TO DEFEAT ANTI SAME-GENDER MARRIAGE BILLS

You are cordially invited to attend a volunteer orientation meeting
being conducted by the Los Angeles Freedom to Marry Coalition
on Thursday, May 16th, 6:30 p.m., at the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center
in Room 112.

This meeting is being held in preparation for the upcoming
Christopher Street West/Los Angeles Pride Festival and Parade
which is scheduled for June 22 - 23.  In addition, we will be talking
about what we can do to defeat the two bills (AB 1982 and AB 3227)
pending in the State Legislature which would bar the recognition of
same-gender marriage in California.  (Recent Development:  The
U.S. Congress introduced bills in both houses to deny recognition
of same-gender marriage within the federal context, i.e., tax benefits,
survivor's benefits, etc.  The bills are H.R. 3396 and S. 1740)

Incidentally, the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center is conducting a letter
writing campaign to defeat AB 3227 and AB 1982 in California, and
HR 3396 and S. 1740 in Congress.  The letter writing campaign is being
held at the Center's first floor lobby area on Monday, Wednesday and
Thursday nights, from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.  If you're interested in
helping out, please call the coalition at (213) 860-7350.

We are looking forward to seeing you at the volunteer orientation meeting. 
If you can attend, please RSVP by calling (213) 860-7350.

###END###