Subject: GLSTN Wins Victory in Modesto Controversy
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 16:56:12 -0500

GLSTN News
December 17, 1996
Modesto, California

Background: In late October, over 20 teachers from the Modesto (CA) 
schools attended the BANGLE-GLSTN Conference and watched GLSTN's new 
video "Teahcing Respect for All."  Their attendance was a matter of great 
controversy, and led to increased furor when they returned and 
recommended the school order copies of the video and offer it as a 
professional development tool to faculty.  Last night, the school baord 
met to address protests against use of the video, whcih they accused as 
being "full of inaccuracies."  Tom Martin, a GLSTN member and teacher in 
the Modesto schosl, sent us this update this morning.

"The Board of Education of Modesto City Schools, voted 6 to 1 this 
evening, to deny the request of the conservative christian group to 
prohibit the further use of the video "Teaching Respect For All" 
featuring 
Kevin Jennings of GLSTN.  Claiming that the video was flawed, the 
group attempted to be the judges of what teachers in our district 
could and could not see in their training on issues in education for 
gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered youth.  We are very proud 
that nearly 40 PFLAG and GLSTN members joined forces and made a really 
good showing at the meeting and spoke most eloquently on the need to 
continue to use the film."

Reply-to: [email-masked]

========================================================

GLSTNAlert is a GLSTN news bulletin service of the The Gay, Lesbian, and 
Straight Teachers Network (GLSTN). 

========================================================

To Unsubscribe from GLSTNAlert simply send an email to [email-masked] 
with the words "Unsubscribe GLSTNAlert" in the subject line (no quotes 
and note the lack of space in GLSTNAlert).

========================================================

To Subscribe to GLSTNAlert simply send an email to [email-masked] 
with the words "Subscribe GLSTNAlert" in the subject line (no quotes and 
note the lack of space in GLSTNAlert). Also: please write your name in 
the message portion of your email.

========================================================