Subject: G/L/B/T COMMUNITY GEARS UP FOR GOP CONVENTION
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 12:43:44 -0500

*************************************************
                        PRESS RELEASE   

                     LGBT VOICES '96
             Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgender 
      Voters Organized In Coalition for the Elections

PO Box 3128; San Diego, CA; 92163-1128

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE   CONTACT:   Brenda Schumacher
                                                           (619) 298-4916
*************************************************
GAYS, LESBIANS, BISEXUAL, TRANSGENDERS
 GEAR UP FOR REPUBLICAN CONVENTION

SAN DIEGO TO KICK OFF MASSIVE CAMPAIGN FOR RALLIES, PROTESTS, OTHER EVENTS AT
GOP GATHERING

San Diego, April 4, 1996...The 1996 presidential elections are shaping up to
be a major political event for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender
Americans.   Gays in the military, same-gender marriage, employment
non-discrimination, hate crimes and other issues have already made headlines
and attracted the opposition or support of presidential candidates.  But
perhaps no event will capture the controversy more than the 1996 Republican
National Convention this August, when thousands of activists from around the
nation converge in San Diego to make their voices heard and challenge attacks
from religious political extremists threatening to dominate the Convention.

 LGBT VOICES '96 (Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgender Voters Organized In
Coalition for the Elections) is an ad hoc group formed to coordinate local
political, educational and cultural activities at the Republican Convention.
 L/G/B/T VOICES '96 will work in coalition with other groups at the
convention to challenge the scapegoating of gays, people of color,
immigrants, and others for the country's economic and social woes, and
respond to attacks on affirmative action, abortion rights and welfare.
 Events now being planned include rallies, protests, town meetings, cultural
events, and much more.  Never before has the g/l/b/t community organized a
campaign of this magnitude in response to a national political convention,
says L/G/B/T VOICES '96 organizers.

 L/G/B/T VOICES '96 will hold a rally featuring local and national figures to
kick off its convention campaign.

WHAT:  A community rally and media event to kick off VOICES '96 GOP
Convention efforts and announce platform issues, convention plans, other
activities.

WHERE AND WHEN:  Tuesday, April 16, 7p.m.-to-8:30 p.m., outdoors at the San
Diego Lesbian and Gay Men's Community Center, 3916 Normal St., in the
Hillcrest neighborhood.

WHO:  The rally will feature Chris Kehoe, openly lesbian San Diego city
council member; Melinda Paras, executive director of the National Gay and
Lesbian Task Force; Maria Mendez, March For Social and Economic Justice; Alex
Garner and Russell Roybal, gay youth activists; Daniel Zingale ,  Human
Rights Campaign, and David Tochi, San Diego Log Cabin Club.  The event will
be emceed by Brenda Schumacher and Tony Valenzuela, co-chairs of L/G/B/T
VOICES '96.  San Diego's Finest Freedom Dixieland Band will perform.

L/G/B/T VOICES '96 is a progressive effort committed to organizing gay,
lesbian, bisexual and transgender people at the Republican Convention and to
building coalitions with other communities working for social change.
 L/G/B/T VOICES '96 is convened by San Diegans working with national gay and
lesbian movement activists.  For more information call Brenda Schumacher at
(619)298-4916 in San Diego.

###