Subject: White House gay liaison visits LA
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 02:10:13 -0400

---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Democrats Seek Gay Support in So. California
Date:    96-09-30 00:19:48 EDT
From:    TomSwann

Tom Swann
Proud Gay Veteran
Stonewall LA Democratic Club
(805) 271-1157

LOS ANGELES, CA  (Sept 29) -- The Stonewall Los Angeles Democratic Club and
other lesbian and gay political organizations hosted a weekend full of
informative meetings in Southern California.  White House Deputy Assistant to
the President Richard Socarides was featured at several events in Orange
County, Long Beach and West Hollywood.  This flurry of political activity is
coming at a time when the presidential race is tightening and California is
receiving more attention from the GOP.  The Republican Vice-Presidential
candidate Jack Kemp will be in Thousand Oaks CA this week to talk about AIDS
and other issues at Amgen Pharmaceutical Company Inc.

On Sunday the Stonewall Los Angeles Democratic Club and other prominent
Democrats hosted a fundraiser for the California Democratic Party.  The
afternoon informal cook-out was held at the home of West Hollywood City
Council Member Steve Martin.  Socarides was present to meet with the
important Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender (GLBT) constituency.  Also
to make several White House policy announcements.

Foremost, Socarides told the crowd of more than 50 that on Saturday (Sept.
28) the President and Congress agreed on the budget.  The President won
several key aspects including an HIV provision impacting legal immigrants.
 Also $100 million more for AIDS; these are funds over the increased spending
amount in the proposed budget.  Dr. Scott Hitt, Chairman of the President's
HIV/AIDS Advisory Council was present and played an important role in this
effort.   

There were other issues of concern to the GLBT community.  Tom Swann, Proud
Gay Veteran presented Socarides with a colorful lapel pin made by the Gay,
Lesbian & Bisexual Veterans of America (GLBVA).  Swann said that the White
House opened the doors on June 12 for a contingent of GLBT veterans in a
historic one-hour meeting.  

"This was the first time that a President invited GLBT veterans to the White
House to hear our concerns.  All previous administrations ignored our
organization and ridiculed our service to America.  I am pleased to say that
the Clinton administration listened to us.  The administration also publicly
opposed the Dornan amendments."

Socarides proudly wore the GLBVA lapel pin and afterwards told Swann and Tom
Carpenter (Board Member of the Servicemembers' Legal Defense Network) that
"the administration is concerned about the alleged violations of the "don't
ask, don't tell" policy in Hawaii.  We are very focused and aware of the
situation.  The White House counsel has raised some questions and the Air
Force is facing tremendous pressure, especially after the special on
Nightline.  The (Clinton) administration has done more than people realize."

Socarides acknowledged that the Inspector General reports will be issued
soon.  Also that it was difficult for him to elaborate further on matters
that involved the Executive Branch of Government.

Later Socarides told the crowd that President Clinton will most likely make 3
appointments to the U.S. Supreme Court in a second term.  This is where the
ultimate decision about gays in the military will be decided.  We don't need
Ralph Reed in charge of judicial appointments or Sen. Jesse Helms and Rep.
Robert Dornan deciding Defense policy.

Socarides said that he welcomed the GLBVA back to the White House after the
election.  Then he predicted that President Clinton would renew his pledge to
support the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) on Thursday October 3.
 Socarides thanked Dr. Scott Hitt, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the
Stonewall Los Angeles Democratic Club and other organizations for their
leadership in securing the additional AIDS funding, the legal immigration
bill that allows HIV-positive people to receive medical care and ENDA.

Tom Umberg, California Chair of the Clinton-Gore '96 Committee spoke
eloquently about the importance of the GLBT vote.  Umberg talked about 4
Congressional races in California that could be won.  He asked that those
present double their efforts in the 700 plus hours remaining before the
November 5 election.

Swann spoke briefly as volunteer coordinator of GLBT veterans for
Clinton-Gore.  He distributed copies of the recently published "Forward
Observer", national GLBVA newspaper.  The issue includes a picture of GLBT
veterans meeting with Mr. Jeff Levi, deputy director of the White House
National AIDS Policy Office.  Swann and others believe that Sen. Dole will
start attacking President Clinton for trying to lift the military ban
starting with the October 6 debate.

Polling data from the 1992 election show the GLBT vote at approximately 7%.
 Umberg and others stressed the need for GLBT to vote on election day.  The
Senate vote on ENDA was one shy of passage so Umberg urged everyone to help
ensure a large voter turn-out on November 5. 

West Hollywood City Councilmember Steve Martin introduced many elected
officials including Redondo Beach School Board Member Zeke Zeidler and Los
Angeles County Assessor Ken Hahn.  

Eric Bauman, Stonewall Club President and Sue Burnside, Director of the Human
Rights Campaign (HRC) Southern California Project played an important role.
 Burnside works 12-14 hours seven days per week on political campaigns and
organizing.  Burnside's track record in 10 years is impressive making her one
of the most successful and respected strategists in America.  Bauman called
the HRC selection of Sue Burnside as their 1996 project director "one of the
best decisions this year."     

In other events involving the Stonewall Los Angeles Democratic Club, 
there was a Lesbian Achievements and Political Clout celebration in Los
Angeles Sunday Sept 29.  The free event was presented by the women of
Stonewall Democratic Club.  The distinguished special guests included the
following:  Ca. State Assemblymember Sheila James Kuehl, LA City
Councilmember Jackie Goldberg, Councilmember Judy Abdo, Assembly candidate
Gerrie Schipske and Jenny Pizer of the Lambda Legal Defense and Education
Fund, Inc.

On Friday night, Sheila Kuehl spoke at the Stonewall club's annual Country
and Western BBQ.  Kuehl is the first open-lesbian ever elected to the State
Legislature in the United States and is completing her first term in
Sacramento.  If the HRC and Stonewall are successful in electing a
family-friendly majority in the State Assembly then Kuehl could be elected
Speaker.  

Kuehl and Jeff Prang were important Stonewall LA members of the Democratic
National Convention platform committee.  Prang said that he was a whip on the
convention floor.  Prang promised to continue working on GLBT civil rights
including the adoption issue and gays in the military starting November 6 and
throughout a Clinton second term.  Kuehl said that supporting civil rights
comes natural to her and that she has made progress on these issues.  Kuehl
has been speaking across America and commented on her meeting with the
Stonewall Democrats in Colorado.

Bauman also talked about Stonewall's "Plan of 100's" which involves raising
$100,000, operating 100 phone banks and reaching 100,000 GLBT voters.  

Bauman said that "on January 20, 1993 the (White House) doors opened for the
first time to lesbian and gay Americans.  On November 5 you will determine
whether they stay open four more years!"

The Stonewall LA Democratic Club was the first Democratic club (straight or
gay) to endorse the re-election of President Bill Clinton and Vice-President
Al Gore Jr.  A total of 19 club members went to Chicago where they met with
Tipper Gore and other important leaders.  The Stonewall LA Democrats were
very visible and there were no rifts between the Democratic Party and the
GLBT delegates.  

The Stonewall LA Democratic Club can be reached by E-Mail at
[email-masked]

Club President Eric Bauman can be reached at (818) 780-4590.

The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Southern California Project can be reached at
(213) 931-5501.

The Calif. Democratic Party can be reached at (213) 848-3700

Sheila Kuehl For Assembly
c/o Alison Morgan 
6305 Yucca Street Suite 606
Los Angeles, CA  90028
(213) 463-8181

The Gay, Lesbian & Bisexual Veterans of America (GLBVA) can discuss
membership, lapel pins and the Forward Observer newspaper at:
GLBVA Member Services
PO Box 29371
Chicago Illinois 60629

The Servicemembers' Legal Defense Network (SLDN) can be reached at:   
PO Box 53013
Wash DC  20009
[email-masked]