Subject: SHEILA KUEHL PICKED FOR #2 SLOT IN CA State ASSEMBLY !!!!! [AND CORRECTION]
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 18:53:43 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NOVEMBER 8, 1996

CONTACT:   LAURIE McBRIDE
	              916 444 0424
                    [email-masked]

SHEILA KUEHL PICKED 
FOR #2 SLOT IN CA State ASSEMBLY !!!!!!

After an all-day session, Democrats announced Thursday evening that their new
Assembly Speaker would be Cruz Bustamante of Fresno.

Friday morning, news leaked out that Assemblywoman Sheila Kuehl had been
chosen as the Assembly's Speaker Pro Tem, which places her second in command.
 On a daily basis she will share responsibilities for running the Assembly,
and for chairing the Assembly when in session.  

This historic agreement is possible because Sheila Kuehl has proven herself
far more than a one or two issue politician.  In her first two years she has
become a leader in the women's caucus and in the progressive caucus.  Her
savvy and willingness to work with members, regardless of political
orientation, cemented relationships based in respect.  

Insiders report that negotiations putting Bustamante in the top slot centered
on ensuring Kuehl's support, as well as the support of progressives in the
Bay Area.  In the latter group, Assemblywoman Carole Migden took the lead,
ensuring a strong voice for her progressive colleagues.

"The upshot is an unprecedented victory for the gay and lesbian community,"
said Laurie McBride, Executive Director of LIFE: California's Lesbian/Gay and
AIDS Lobby.  "Our two first openly gay lesgislators in California, are
elected in the last two years.  Now Sheila Kuehl is Speaker Pro Tem, and
Carole Migden is right there with her as part of the inner circle of Assembly
leadership as well.  They are role models of the highest order, and will no
doubt prove themselves exemplary leaders for ALL Californians."

"This is a great, great day for California," McBride concluded. 

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 21:52:32 -0500
Subject: CORRECTION:  SHEILA KUEHL ONLY RUMORED TO BE CANDIDATE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NOVEMBER 8, 1996

CONTACT:   LAURIE McBRIDE
	              916 444 0424
                     [email-masked]

CORRECTION:

SHEILA KUEHL IS A CANDIDATE
FOR #2 SLOT IN CALIFORNIA STATE ASSEMBLY !!

The final leadership configuration of the Assembly won't be final until voted
on by the Assemblymembers themselves, on December 2nd.  

Sheila Kuehl's candidacy for Speaker Pro Tem of the Assembly is not
confirmed.

Repeat:  The information released earlier about her possible election to the
Speaker Pro Tem post is an unconfirmed rumor.

"I regret the error in our earlier press release," said Laurie McBride.  "It
was my fault for not checking the facts, and rushing into celebration-mode."

"However it turns out, we still welcome the new leadership of the State
Assembly.  The gay and lesbian community should be enormously proud of the
role that Sheila Kuehl and Carole Migden continue to play on behalf of all
Californians."

"We can continue to hope, however, that these remarkable women will be
included in leadership -- their talent and energy  and expertise would surely
prove a welcome asset in the work ahead," McBride concluded.

--  end  --

[ So, there is no historic agreement...  yet...  except about the leadership
of Cruz Bustamante, the first Hispanic to hold the Speakership of the
California State Assembly.  The exact leadership make-up is yet to be
decided.

But it is still true that Sheila Kuehl has proven herself far more than a one
or two issue politician.  In her first two years she has become a leader in
the women's caucus and in the progressive caucus.  Her savvy and willingness
to work with members, regardless of political orientation, cemented
relationships based in respect.  And it is still true that Carole Migden is a
leader and positive force for progressive issues of concern statewide.]